Any point learning HTML if your a web designer?

master-trader, Jan 24, 6:18am
I was wondering do most web designers work with a WYSIWYG programme or go from scratch and use but not limited to HTML, CSS etc.

I was wanting to create a website but am one of those people that want to know how something works and why it works that way.

and how about web developers ! I guess that is a whole other case!

sam_myinbox, Jan 24, 6:25am
If you want anything to do with anything when it comes to successful web design/development, learn HTML and CSS.

zrawnsley, Jan 24, 6:27am
I develop web applications, and I'd be up s**t creek without a paddle if I didn't understand HTML/CSS/JavaScript/jQuery/AJA-
X - It's not very hard though - the best way to learn is to think of something you want your page to do, then make it do it. jm2cw

p.s. this may not have been helpful

-mung-, Jan 24, 6:47am
There is every point.

Even web designers who actually do prefer to work in design view will find that sometimes the software will get confused and write weird code that you just can't fix until you flick back into code view. If you don't know what's going on, you can't fix it.

Also, it's really really easy anyway.

master-trader, Jan 24, 6:48am
thanks. So do I need a specific HTML editor programme or do you just rip into it and use notepad. I'm guessing an HTML editing programme may save me some headaches, but I'd still want to know why I'm doing a certain a command and how it is going to work

newbie5, Jan 24, 7:03am
you can use a web design software like Dreamweaver or you can get a free wysiwyg like kompozer that lets you view both normal or html code which as mentioned above it is good to know if something goes wrong then you can look for the code and fix it

-mung-, Jan 24, 7:14am
If you start with basic tutorials and you have no software installed you could start with notepad (download notepad++ actually), but you'll want to move to something that offers code suggestions, code colouring and formatting and templates to start with and checks it once you start making real sites or it's a bit tedious (though some people like to work that way I guess). I can't recommend anything other than Dreamweaver as that is all I have ever really used (and some text editors - notepad++ on PC, Text Wrangler on Mac because they are free and decent).

_sms_, Jan 24, 7:22am
No point if you can't speak English.You're!

zrawnsley, Jan 24, 8:50am
Personally I've found WebStorm to be a fantastic IDE showcasing many headache saving features. I've been evaluating the trial edition and am very impressed. http://www.jetbrains.com/webstorm/

doggitt, Jan 24, 9:20am
Yes, learning HTML was brilliant even though I never design in HTML, understanding it makes all the difference.

mattnzw, Jan 24, 9:29am
Yes, if you want to call yourslef a web designer, you really need to know html / css and probably some programming too. If you re serious, you really need dreamweaver. There are free alternatives, but dreamweaver does it all, and also works with things like contribute. You could just setup wordpress websites and buy prebuilt templates, and never do any real webdesign work, which is what many web companies do, but that isn't really 'web designing'

hammerer, Jan 24, 9:35am
If you're going to be coding in many different formats then a good programming editor will come in handy too. I use Notepad++ but there are many others.

stardesta, Jan 24, 7:23pm
Agree with post #2, its good to know html and css, as if something goes wrong you can usually work out what the problem is

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)