Vtecintegra, others, phone advice please?

I need to buya phone but am not really up with the play on phones.
There are a few basic functions I want. I was wondering if you or anyone could offer me some advice on which phone would best suit my needs.
I find it hard to justify outlaying big money just for a phone so the cheaper the better. Yeah yeah ok so I'm a bit of a tight you know what lol
Anyway, here are a quick list of what I would like from a phone if possible.
Biggest screen possible
Decent Camera with flash.
Internet browsing capable.
WiFi with the option to turn off data access and use only hot spots.
Tethering
MP3 player
Radio
Decent battery life or the ability to add an extended battery.

At the moment Im looking at the HTC range but there are just so many phones with so many options I thought it might be prudent to ask for advice.
Any thoughts anyone please.

And yeah those of you that gave advice before were bang on. That AnyCool G10 i bought before althought a really nice phone, was just a cheap Chinese copy with absolutely no support or accessories available. So I have sold it. Now looking for something to replace.

geek_friendly_prawn, Jan 29, 5:55 am

I need to buya phone but am not really up with the play on phones.
There are a few basic functions I want. I was wondering if you or anyone could offer me some advice on which phone would best suit my needs.
I find it hard to justify outlaying big money just for a phone so the cheaper the better. Yeah yeah ok so I'm a bit of a tight you know what lol
Anyway, here are a quick list of what I would like from a phone if possible.
Biggest screen possible
Decent Camera
Internet browsing capable.
WiFi with the option to turn off data access and use only hot spots.
Tethering
MP3 player
Radio
Decent battery life or the ability to add an extended battery.

At the moment Im looking at the HTC range but there are just so many phones with so many options I thought it might be prudent to ask for advice.
Any thoughts anyone please.

And yeah those of you that gave advice before were bang on. That AnyCool G10 i bought before althought a really nice phone, was just a cheap Chinese copy with absolutely no support or accessories available. So I have sold it. Now looking for something to replace.

geek_friendly_prawn, Jan 29, 5:55 am

a quick link to my last phone which I really liked but sold due to their being no support for it and the poor battery (usage) life.
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php!item=MPHACL100

geek_friendly_prawn, Jan 29, 6:30 am

Android for sure.
If you really want to be frugal have a look round at roms first and find a nice stable one for ice cream sandwich, then find an "older" phone that it will work on.
Or have a look at CyanogenMod and pick a phone in your budget range that it will work on.
Currently they are on Gingerbread but working on ICS.
http://www.cyanogenmod.com/

geek_smyrnia, Jan 29, 8:56 am

I'd buy a Nexus S and be done with it.

Should tick all the boxes aside from radio and possibly battery life. Really battery life is a tough one, you really have to charge any smartphone nightly even the iPhone 4 which generally has the best battery life of anything.

geek_vtecintegra, Jan 29, 10:23 am

geek_lostdude, Jan 29, 10:38 pm

thank you everyone.
And thank you lostdude, very good site. It's just what I needed.

geek_friendly_prawn, Jan 30, 4:25 pm

np :)

geek_lostdude, Jan 30, 4:26 pm

Hey guys, I have settled on this one. Any thoughts before I grab it!
http://einfo.co.nz/shop/htc-desire-hd-brown-8gb-micro-sd-special-price-p-20720.html!osCsid=b7fa211a68420ba5f42db5c8fac2a0c4

And yes I do know of this company's customer service rep. But they are the best price (walk in) that I can find.Any thoughts guys!

geek_friendly_prawn, Jan 30, 9:29 pm

I'd pass - the DHD has poor battery life and a pretty low quality screen. Also won't see Android 4.0 officially for some time (or perhaps not at all)

On the plus side the screen is large and its fairly solidly constructed

geek_vtecintegra, Jan 30, 9:32 pm

HTC Sensation :)

geek_spacies_nz, Jan 30, 9:35 pm

Battery life Im hoping to sort by using an extended battery pack.
What do you mean by low screen quality. Are you talking actualy image on screen or the quality of the screen. It does state gorilla glass which I thought was supposed to be tough!

geek_friendly_prawn, Jan 30, 10:17 pm

Too expensive especially when I can get the specs I need at a far better price.

geek_friendly_prawn, Jan 30, 10:18 pm

geek_friendly_prawn, Jan 30, 10:34 pm

The glass will be touch but the panel itself doesn't look very good - its basically an old model that has been recycled a few times.

geek_vtecintegra, Jan 31, 9:36 am

cheers for clarifyng that for me. vtecintegra

geek_friendly_prawn, Jan 31, 10:00 am