Printer off line - why would that be? Page 1 / 2

mariner26, Jan 30, 10:54pm
My young brother has a wireless printer - set up for use with his laptop. He says he gets a "Printer Offline" message when trying to print material off the computer. He says he has tried various things to get it back "on line" but to no avail. He has used the driver software and the printer (small) lcd panel/menu system but cannot fix the problem. So, what is wrong.Have the devices just lost their communication abilities! Is the answer to simply go through the process of reinstalling the wireless link - from scratch again!

drcspy, Jan 30, 11:02pm
tried it with a different laptop !

drcspy, Jan 30, 11:03pm
process of elimination

also

start/run/cmd

then type in

ipconfig /all

should show the printer up if it's a wireless device.

mariner26, Jan 31, 12:32am
Thanks "dr". Have not tried it with another laptop. But shall try the routine you suggest in next "post".

mariner26, Jan 31, 12:32am
Thanks "dr". Have not tried it with another laptop. But shall try the routine you suggest in next "post". Thanks for idea so far.

mariner26, Jan 31, 1:12am
And, "dr" - what should one do if the printer does not show up in "ipconfig/all". Seems if that is the case - does not show up - then the wireless connection needs to be restablished, as from scratch. Do you agree.
I will not visit my brother and "see" the problem until Wednesday pm so am "flying blind" 'til then.

Thanks for your advice.

spyware, Jan 31, 3:14am
ipconfig /all shows the network interface information on a specific computer and has nothing to do with the printer.

Printer drivers print to a port defined by an ip address. If you configure the printer to use DHCP then the addres may change and therefore printer won't be found, that simple. Printers should be configured with static IP addresses, i.e., manually configure the printer with a static address, e.g., 192.168.1.50 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 - shorhand 192.168.1.50/24. Note - address is an example only and printer concerned may be on a completely different subnet.

ipconfig /all shows the network interface information on a specific computer and has nothing to do with the printer. The printer is most likely connected to an access print/router providing an IP address via DHCP.

Printer drivers print to a port defined by an ip address. If you configure the printer to use DHCP then the address may change and therefore printer won't be found, that simple. Printers should be configured with static IP addresses, i.e., manually configure the printer with a static address, e.g., 192.168.1.50 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 - shorhand 192.168.1.50/24. Note - address is an example only and printer concerned may be on a completely different subnet.

ipconfig /all shows the network interface information on a specific computer and has nothing to do with the printer. The printer is most likely connected to an access point/router providing an IP address via DHCP.

Printer drivers print to a socket defined by an ip address and port. If you configure the printer to use DHCP then the IP address assigned to the printer on a particular day may change and therefore printer won't be found by the laptop (Information is on the PORTS tab in relevant printer driver Properties), that simple.

Printers should be configured with static IP addresses, i.e., manually configure the printer with a static address, e.g., 192.168.1.50 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 - shorthand 192.168.1.50/24. Note - address is an example only and printer concerned may be on a completely different subnet.

spyware, Jan 31, 3:25am
Use ping command from shell prompt to test connectivity. Most printers will print a test page showing IP address, compare this address with the address that the printer driver is printing to (found on ports tab of driver properties).

nik12, Jan 31, 10:35am
Is it an HP! I had that problem and a google told me lots of people had. Unistalled and reinstalled and it's been fine ever since.

mariner26, Feb 8, 7:14am
Can I have a wireless printer "connected" to my PC despite that my PC is connected to my modem per ethernet cable! In other words, one device runs wirelessly (printer) but the other device (PC) is cable connected.
Trying a "test" to see whether my brother's printer works via my PC instead of his laptop. I suspect that if I can print wirelessly from my PC to his wireless printer that could "prove" his Xtra modem is a cheapie and may not be up to the wireless demands of his devices (printer and laptop).
Thanks for any help.

spyware, Feb 8, 7:19am
How they connect, be it wired or wireless, makes no difference. The fact that it doesn't work won't be related to the cheapness of the router but rather to what I explained above.

spyware, Feb 8, 7:19am
How they connect, be it wired or wireless, makes no difference. The fact that it doesn't work won't be related to the cheapness of the router but rather to what I explained above.

As I said, compare the IP address on the status page with the IP address the driver is actually configured to print to.

newbie5, Feb 8, 10:06pm
I know it is the obvious but is the printer turned on It will show as offline if it is off also is it selected as the default printer,another reason why it wont work
Does it show in the network if not then you will have to install it

mariner26, Feb 9, 1:58am
Thanks Ross ("spyware").
I have the printer at my home. Have installed USB cable driver on my desktop PC - running Vista (the printer normally runs wirelessly taking commands from laptop with Windows7. Have not wirelessly connected the printer to my PC. Don't know whether I actually can.All print options etc work fine.
1. have printed a test page - but no IP address there.
2. from printer (Brother MFC-255CW) the Report No 6 (obtained via LCD menu on printer control panel) shows under <IP Settings> .IP Address 0. 0. 0. 0
3. thedriver that printer is printing to has to be the wireless (option) driver, I take it. Is that right!
4. and, the "Ports Tab of Driver Properties" that you mention is also the tab in the wireless installed driver I take it. Is that right!
5. so, any further steps I take have to be on site using the laptop and modem and wireless driver of the printer to advance the "tests" you suggest any further. Would that be right!
Suspect I cannot adance testing and setting corresponding IP addresses for printer and driver unless I use all the devices and software that are related, and are on site where the modem resides.
What further comments do you have Ross!
Thanks, so far.

newbie5, Feb 9, 3:28am
you have just answered your question and it looks like I could have been right.
Brother did not have printer set as default or installed

newbie5, Feb 9, 3:28am
you have just answered your question if it works on your computer and not his and it looks like I could have been right.
Brother did not have printer set as default or installed

spyware, Feb 9, 4:03am
To test whether a printer works via an Ethernet connection, either wireless or wired, requires that you connect it by such. Connecting via USB says nothing about the Ethernet side of things. IP address is non existent because it is not currently connected to a wireless access point with functioning DHCP server.

To diagnose the problem you have to be onsite with the computer concerned using the wireless connection concerned. You have concluded however that no static IP address has been set on the printer meaning an IP address is assigned by a wireless access point at time of connection and this IP address may change simply by changing the order in which your friend powers up his devices. If he powers on computer first then computer is assigned first address in DHCP pool, if he powers on printer first then it gets the first address meaning the driver may be misconfigured.

spyware, Feb 9, 4:03am
To test whether a printer works via an Ethernet connection, either wireless or wired, requires that you connect it by such. Connecting via USB says nothing about the Ethernet side of things. IP address is non existent because it is not currently connected to a wireless access point with functioning DHCP server.

To diagnose the problem you have to be onsite with the computer concerned using the wireless connection concerned. You have concluded however that no static IP address has been set on the printer meaning an IP address is assigned by a wireless access point at time of connection and this IP address may change simply by changing the order in which your brother powers up his devices. If he powers on computer first then computer is assigned first address in DHCP pool, if he powers on printer first then it gets the first address meaning the driver may be misconfigured.

mariner26, Feb 9, 6:24am
Thanks Ross. Yeh - as realised the issue can only be analysed and/or resolved on site. Strikes me that the DHCP "facility" should operate so as to result in corresponding IP addresses - whatever device is powered first. Even reinstalling the wireless driver option for the Win7 system I would have thought would have seen the IP addresses correspond.
However, I shall see in due course as I shall next do the "work" on site with the laptop, printer and modem. If there is a mismatch of the IP address then I shall have to manually edit it to that of the printer within the Ports Tab of the driver.
Still wonder about getting an IP address out of the printer tho that will be the address to which I edit the driver port. And, I am wondering that there is any such random allocation and thus mismatch of IP addresses given that the remedy will always be to edit the address in the Port Tab of the driver.
I recall that the screens in the Win7 version of the printer driver that onenavigates are quite different to that for the USB Vista version that I have been playing around on today.
Anyway - thanks for help so far.
PS - what say you about the comments of "mber2" above!

spyware, Feb 9, 7:05am
Remedy is to ALWAYS give a printer a static IP address then install driver, create TCP/IP port and point to that static IP address.

DHCP can be made to assign the same address to devices based on MAC (media access control) address but this requires configuration of DHCP server in access point/router - some devices don't offer this option anyway.

spyware, Feb 9, 7:40am
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/files/dlf/doc002427/cv_hl5350dn_eng_net_a.pdf

Configure wireless as in Chapter 3. Print status page to find IP address assigned by wireless router.

Read Chapter 10 and then use web interface to connect to printer to assign static IP addresses to both wired and wireless interfaces.

Install driver as in Chapter 11 with TCPIP port pointing to static IP on printers wireless interface.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)