Remote access

How can you tell if someone has remote access to your computer and how to stop it!

geek_bigyin13, Feb 5, 2:01 pm

what makes you ask this question !

geek_drcspy, Feb 5, 2:05 pm

Because at a certain each night every night at the same time it is being used,not by me

geek_bigyin13, Feb 5, 2:07 pm

How do you know!

geek_r.g.nixon, Feb 5, 2:12 pm

yep please be SPECIFIC in your description of what happens

geek_drcspy, Feb 5, 2:13 pm

Sounds more like a scheduled security scan.
Far too regular to be a hacker

geek_mrfxit, Feb 5, 2:14 pm

because I was told I had used all my gigs which h ad just been doubled. I checked the usage and saw this.It has started in July whenI changed to vodafone before thart I had only 5 gigs and never used that much I have 20 now

geek_bigyin13, Feb 5, 2:18 pm

Vodafone mobile or ADSL!. If ADSL does this include wifi!

geek_r.g.nixon, Feb 5, 2:19 pm

geek_little_egypt, Feb 5, 2:19 pm

that doesn't mean someone has remote access to your computer it more likely means you have a wirless router and someone is tapping into it

do you have a wireless modem/router
is it secure !

geek_drcspy, Feb 5, 2:20 pm

yes and it is supposed to be protected

geek_bigyin13, Feb 5, 2:22 pm

Yes but WHO told you the wireless is secure.
YOU . should know what the password is for accessing the wireless connection

geek_mrfxit, Feb 5, 2:24 pm

how do you know this !
if I for example was to try to connect to your router/modem wirelessly would I need to put in a password !

also some virus infections can result in LARGE useage of your allowance - what antivirus do you have !

geek_drcspy, Feb 5, 2:26 pm

Would a vrus do this at the same time every night!

geek_bigyin13, Feb 5, 2:30 pm

maybe

how about you answer the questions about your supposedly secure wireless !

geek_drcspy, Feb 5, 2:32 pm

how about you being less rude

geek_bigyin13, Feb 5, 2:34 pm

Who else lives in your house that could be accessing your WiFi!

geek_shyly, Feb 5, 2:34 pm

just my family

geek_bigyin13, Feb 5, 2:34 pm

And you dont think it could be one of them!

geek_shyly, Feb 5, 2:36 pm

how about you stop being a tightwad and go PAY for a tech to help .

as they say on dragonsden "I"m out".

geek_drcspy, Feb 5, 2:39 pm

ungrateful much !

geek_drcspy, Feb 5, 2:40 pm

I am getting it looked at but thought someone might know. I thought you were leavig and I a m not ungrateful as you were rude and did not shed any light on my question

geek_bigyin13, Feb 5, 2:47 pm

PLEASE post the statement I made that was 'rude' !

I think YOU were 'rude' to not answer SERIOUS questions about your situation how the hell people can help if you wont answer I dont know.I'm a tech and I was working towards getting the info we needed but you've just thrown a spanner into your own works.

geek_drcspy, Feb 5, 2:51 pm

as for not 'shedding light' on your 'question' I cannot comprehend how you expect me to shed light or anyone else if you wont provide essential answers to what are important questions.

doh !

geek_drcspy, Feb 5, 2:52 pm

The problem is that techs expect people to have a basic understanding of their gear and set up, and the people never set it up, don't know their equipment or what each bit does, or even have a simple idea of what data is and what it means to use it.

Computers are for the masses and anyone can buy one without the ability to learn anything other than how to tie the PC shoelaces. Some will learn to figure stuff out and ask intelligent questions some never learnt how to program their VCR because it wasn't a skill they were prepared to learn or needed to. These people often should bypass this forum, pay a tech and get it sorted out.

Those in the middle ground are far more likely to figure it out for themselves or at least know how to ask questions the right way so the techs who do give up their time here to help people don't get accused of being "rude" for trying to make one of the first sort give up the basic info needed to at least start to assess the problem.

geek_morticia, Feb 5, 3:00 pm

The problem is that techs expect people to have a basic understanding of their gear and set up, and the people never set it up, don't know their equipment or what each bit does, or even have a simple idea of what data is and what it means to use it.

Computers are for the masses and anyone can buy one without the ability to learn anything other than how to tie their PC shoelaces. Some will learn to figure stuff out and ask intelligent questions some never learnt how to program their VCR because it wasn't a skill they were prepared to learn or needed to. These people often should bypass this forum, pay a tech and get it sorted out.

Those in the middle ground are far more likely to figure it out for themselves or at least know how to ask questions the right way so the techs who do give up their time here to help people don't get accused of being "rude" for trying to make one of the first sort give up the basic info needed to at least start to assess the problem.

geek_morticia, Feb 5, 3:00 pm

sorry to upset you it is probably the spanner I threw that did it.

geek_bigyin13, Feb 5, 3:00 pm

Thanks for that. You are correct

geek_bigyin13, Feb 5, 3:02 pm

still couldve answered the question

geek_shyly, Feb 5, 3:04 pm

The trouble with not understanding much of anything that you are doing and using means you leave yourself vulnerable to poor equipment security and very large bills when it goes pear shaped because that friend of your kid/grandkid or that neighbour who reckoned he knew his stuff, didn't know crap all either and left YOU wide open to paying the penalty for misuse of your gear.At least one would hope a bona fide tech would be able to make sure your gear was secured properly and what you pay him to do that is potentially very small bikkies compared with the opposing scenario.

geek_morticia, Feb 5, 3:06 pm

yeh so far ahell of a lot of pissing around and it's STILL not answered.

geek_drcspy, Feb 5, 3:06 pm

The trouble with not understanding much of anything that you are doing and using means you leave yourself vulnerable to poor equipment security and very large bills when it goes pear shaped because that friend of your kid/grandkid or that neighbour who reckoned he knew his stuff, didn't know crap all either and left YOU wide open to paying the penalty for misuse of your gear.At least one would expect a bona fide tech would be able to make sure your gear was secured properly and what you pay him to do that is potentially very small bikkies compared with the opposing scenario.

geek_morticia, Feb 5, 3:06 pm

Sorry shyly it is def, not them . Tucked up in bed at 8pm, this happens late at night when we are all in bed.We have Symantec protection which comes on at 2PM every day

geek_bigyin13, Feb 5, 3:08 pm

LOL . YOU didn't answer the questions "as asked"

Think I might hang around a little longer just for the heck of it.

geek_mrfxit, Feb 5, 3:09 pm

Slow afternoon, mate!

geek_morticia, Feb 5, 3:10 pm

Again .

geek_mrfxit, Feb 5, 3:11 pm

The tech at vodafone tested it

geek_bigyin13, Feb 5, 3:13 pm

Na just hovering past past as a distraction

geek_mrfxit, Feb 5, 3:14 pm

Is your router left on all night!Think i need a coffee.all this piri breastfeeding debacle has me twitchy lol.

geek_shyly, Feb 5, 3:21 pm

As of yesterday I have disconnected it at night . From what the tech asked me I fear it is some dodgy sites that are being downloaded

geek_bigyin13, Feb 5, 3:26 pm

haha

.lmfao

geek_drcspy, Feb 5, 3:27 pm

Glad to amuse you now as I upset you before. Surprised you are still here

geek_bigyin13, Feb 5, 3:31 pm

and you STILL haven't bothered to answer those IMPORTANT questions.guess you'll just have to pay a tech

geek_drcspy, Feb 5, 3:34 pm

and it was YOU whogot 'upset' .remember your complaint about me being 'rude'.

amazing

geek_drcspy, Feb 5, 3:34 pm

its free help, why dont you be less rude

geek_johnf_456, Feb 5, 3:36 pm

I see the thread hasn't improved since I posted that.

geek_little_egypt, Feb 5, 3:37 pm

Infact it suits a double facepalm now.

geek_johnf_456, Feb 5, 3:38 pm

Thank you
Yes thats all very well but IF .that tech set up the wireless properly then he should have told you that either it's been .>>

Turned off
or
Password info

geek_mrfxit, Feb 5, 3:39 pm

I think i have answered the q's asked,and I am certainly not upset as you can see I have my smiley face on. I am getting it sorted but I as I said I thought someone might have a theory on what is happening

geek_bigyin13, Feb 5, 3:39 pm

Theory's are just that THeorys = unsubstantiated ideas with little or no real info.

geek_mrfxit, Feb 5, 3:42 pm