Intel i5 vs AMD E2

weaner1, Feb 8, 11:29pm
Yes I am the same person that started the other AMD vs Intel thread. I am not tech savy but I have narrowed down 2 computers, is there alot of difference between these 2 processors E2 AMD speed2.4 G and the i5 intel speed 2.5 G. No idea what this means but they seem pretty much the same. Thoughts please

vtecintegra, Feb 9, 12:03am
Do you have a link to each system!

r.g.nixon, Feb 9, 12:05am
www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php!cpu=AMD+E2-3000M+APU
Assuming that the E2 model you mention.

weaner1, Feb 9, 12:15am
Thanks, I was looking at Bond and Bond website. The Acer 21.5 touch screen all in one Z3171-AT1007 $1399.00 and it is actually an E3! AMD 2.7 ghz. On the same site there is an i5 for 1999.00 but it does have a 23 inch touch screen

tigra, Feb 9, 12:21am
$600 more seems a lot to pay for the larger screen, maybe a newer model!

vtecintegra, Feb 9, 12:21am
This is my opinion - touch screens are an absolute gimmick on a desktop form factor device (especially on Windows), they add no value just extra expense (and are an utter fingerprint magnet)

If you want an all in one then you should be looking at the Apple iMac - much superior screens (albeit without touch) and a generally good design - start from the same price as the more expensive model you are considering.

r.g.nixon, Feb 9, 12:21am
Don't but junk like Acer, unless you are only going to keep it for 1-2 years.

r.g.nixon, Feb 9, 12:21am
Don't buy junk like Acer, unless you are only going to keep it for 1-2 years.

drcspy, Feb 9, 12:24am
totally agree.who wants to be leaning foward all the time to touch the screen.silly idea

weaner1, Feb 9, 12:51am
I hadn't thought of it like that. I am the perfect consumer and thought it looked pretty. If I have $1500.00 to spend, want an all in one desktop that is good for internet and kids homework that I can purchase from either harvey norman dick smith or bond and bond/noel lemming (these are only stores in Gisborne) what would you all suggest. I would like to purchase from a shop rather than online so I can get someone to come and set it all up and get my internet running properly

tigra, Feb 9, 1:05am
I'm also a fan of AIO's like the uncluttered desktop but did consider the logistics of possible backache and touch screens.(Sometimes I prefer using the keyboard than moving my hand to the mouse pad)You will probably get a better price from HN or DSE than the other two.

babcorp, Feb 9, 6:25am
We use touch screens at work that operate plant machinery, makes it simple to use as each system is only running one program which is always open and the tabs and buttons are set to a reasonable size for big fingers. To use windows menus on the other hand can be a bit of a pain though.

ringo2, Feb 9, 6:53am
I am using one of those that I bought a month ago. Talked them down to $1250 and very happy with it. The touchscreen is a gimmick but I suppose hand if the battery in the mouse dies at a bad time!

oclaf, Feb 9, 6:54am
Windows is not built for touch screens (yet). Don't even bother.

If you really want a touch screen get a tablet. Some of the androids with a good keyboard attachment (like the transformer) pretty much become touch screen laptops with an operating system designed for touch screens.

If you want a desktop - save a couple hundred and skip the touch screen. They will improve no doubt. But for now, in the desktop environment it's still gimmicky crap.

And don't buy from the big chain retailers like bond + Bond. Dedicated computer shops like PBtech will give you more for your money.

Finally the biggest difference between those two processors - The E2 has an integrated Graphics processor. The i5 does not. Leaving the possibility that the i5 system has a far superior (and more expensive) GPU.
A cursory glance at the E2 specs suggests an i5 would absolutely smoke it. I mean really shit all over it.
But for some reason your comparing two systems that are $600 apart.

ringo2, Feb 9, 6:54am
touch screen[/quote]I am using one of those Z3171 models that I bought a month ago. Talked them down to $1250 and very happy with it. The touchscreen is a gimmick but I suppose handy if the battery in the mouse dies at a bad time!

volkier, Feb 9, 7:51pm
Or. you could spend the same money on a PC with much better hardware, and that will do everything just as well - if not better ::P

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)