Advice requested on Microsoft Flight Simulator

I have been helping a retired friend maintain his computer, but have little knowledge of or interest in gaming. He loves playing with Flight Simulator and has done so quite successfully for some time with an older version. However since upgrading to FSX he has had issues with intermittent freezing, which I assume has to do with low system resources. He has an ASUS A7N266VM motherboard with an Athlon 2gig CPU and 512MB RAM. The video card is a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 with 64MB RAM.
Would the freezing issue be likely to be insufficient video RAM! Minimum specs for FSX say 32MB, so should 64 be ok! Also, what about syatem RAM! It appears that 512MB is the maximum for this old motherboard, so maybe he needs to replace his whole system if system RAM is an issue! Any advice gratefully received, thanks.

geek_rpvr, Feb 13, 10:39 am

I have been helping a retired friend maintain his computer, but have little knowledge of or interest in gaming. He loves playing with Flight Simulator and has done so quite successfully for some time with an older version. However since upgrading to FSX he has had issues with intermittent freezing, which I assume has to do with low system resources. He has an ASUS A7N266VM motherboard with an Athlon 2gig CPU and 512MB RAM. The video card is a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 with 64MB RAM.
Would the freezing issue be likely to be insufficient video RAM! Minimum specs for FSX say 32MB, so should 64 be ok! Also, what about system RAM! It appears that 512MB is the maximum for this old motherboard, so maybe he needs to replace his whole system if system RAM is an issue! Any advice gratefully received, thanks.

geek_rpvr, Feb 13, 10:39 am

System RAM (will be upgradable but expensive) & videocard will both be issues.
He should sell FSX, go back to an earlier version, wait a few months for Microsoft to release the new *free* version called Microsoft Flight, then but a new system.

geek_r.g.nixon, Feb 13, 10:45 am

System RAM (will be upgradable but expensive) & video card will both be issues.
He should sell FSX, go back to an earlier version, wait a few months for Microsoft to release the new *free* version called Microsoft Flight, then buy a new system to run it on.

geek_r.g.nixon, Feb 13, 10:45 am

By freezing do you mean choppy game play with a low frame rate. Or computer locking up!
The specs are pretty low end, minimal for FSX and that system sounds pretty old.
Freezing and locking up is not likely caused by the lack of hardware though, more likely a program error, hardware fault or most likely over heating. Check the fans and heatsinks. Especially the CPU. They have probably never been cleaned and can no longer effectively dissipate the heat generated while operating under load.

geek_oclaf, Feb 13, 10:50 am

Prepare for takeoff! On the heels of a successful beta, we??™re excited to announce that ???Microsoft Flight??? will be available to download worldwide for free starting February 29, 2012, right here at www.microsoftflight.com. In addition, the Hawaiian Adventure Pack ??“ which includes the remaining Hawaiian Islands, a new plane and 20 new missions ??“ will be available to purchase the same day through Games for Windows??”LIVE.

geek_r.g.nixon, Feb 13, 10:51 am

Computer locking up. A couple of times it has appeared to go in reverse, i.e landing an aircraft on a carrier deck and it has frozen for a few seconds, then backed off into the air again! lol

geek_rpvr, Feb 13, 11:04 am

Thanks. My friend is a scotsman, he'll be in for anything free!

geek_rpvr, Feb 13, 11:05 am