Advice on Notebook

I used to be really up with the play on notebooks, but havent found time to do this anymore.I work fulltime and am about to begin postgrad study.

I am looking for a new laptop that will primarily allow access to email(exchange), web and MS office and have the ability to remote into TS if required.Im looking for something with 3G support, a resonable battery life (5-6hours), a maximum screen of 14" and with a full keyboard.

Apart from that I'm open to model/brand suggestions - any help would be appreciated.Am I dreaming to find something to those specs!

geek_outlaw2, Feb 20, 6:12 pm

I'd drop the built in 3G requirement and use a USB modem (or tether to a cellphone if yours supports it)

For the rest look into Windows ultrabooks and the Apple Macbook Air

geek_vtecintegra, Feb 20, 6:14 pm

Ok, thanks, good advice - guess I'll borrow the 3G stick from work.Have you giot a suggestion on reliable brands!

geek_outlaw2, Feb 20, 6:32 pm

Asus, Toshiba or Apple are great brands. Apple carries the price premium and you can generally get an equivalent windows laptop for much less, but I guess it depends how much you like OS X.

I'd stay away from Dell, HP and Acer. just from personal experience.

geek_suicidemonkey, Feb 20, 6:44 pm

I'd actually consider one of these: http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/XC8427/hp-folio-13-1016tu-ultrabook Good price and the build seems good so far (like the DM1 netbooks). The thing that really puts me off is the screen is a low resolution model Your other Windows option is the Asus Zenbook: http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/XC8424/asus-13-3-quot-ux31e-ry009v-zenbook , good screen but I think the keyboard and trackpad could be better

I would not touch the Acer or Toshiba ultrabooks as design and build is too poor

Then there is always the Macbook Air, just factor in the cost of a Windows license if you need it.

By the way these are all slim systems without any optical drive which may or may not be an issue for you (personally I don't miss it)

geek_vtecintegra, Feb 20, 6:50 pm

Yeah that HP Folio is pretty good for the price. but pay a couple of hundred more and you get the Asus Zenbook (albeit the cheapest model).

And yeah Macbook Air is nice. has even tempted me.

geek_suicidemonkey, Feb 20, 6:51 pm

Those zenbooks look very promising

geek_outlaw2, Feb 20, 7:44 pm

Well, I'm down to the Zenbook or 13" Macbook Pro - shame noone sell the 256GB version of the Zenbook.

geek_outlaw2, Feb 20, 9:52 pm

Lenovo thinkpad; dirt cheap at themoment, reliable, robust, and they have an awesome reputation. Order from the website and you can configure your new computer to the specifications you want just like a dell or an apple. I just got an i5 2.5ghz sandy bridge, 8gb ram, 320gb HDD, 2gb ati video card with mouse and case for $800 delivered

geek_wellystretch, Feb 20, 9:53 pm

From my research (and i've done quite a bit on these two laptops) the Zenbook wins because it has a higher resolution, USB 3, HDMI out, but the Air has a nicer screen with better viewing angles. Both are pretty close when it comes to dimensions and weight, and the Zenbook is a bit cheaper.

And re the comment about the Lenovo thinkpad, all that may be true, but it's butt ugly :P

geek_suicidemonkey, Feb 20, 9:55 pm

From my research (and i've done quite a bit on these two laptops) the Zenbook wins because it has a higher resolution, USB 3, HDMI out, but the Air has a nicer screen with better viewing angles. Both are pretty close when it comes to dimensions and weight, and the Zenbook is a bit cheaper.

geek_suicidemonkey, Feb 20, 9:55 pm

I'm not sure about the new version, but someone who previously had a thinkpad demonstrated it sure did need to do a lot of thinking, especially when you entered any command into the mouse or keyboard.

Though that could have all changed now.

geek_outlaw2, Feb 20, 10:26 pm

Pretty sure I'm set on the Zenbook - now to scope out the best deal and buy the thing - after a play of course.

geek_outlaw2, Feb 20, 10:27 pm

geek_hakatere1, Feb 21, 9:05 am

The Air also has a significantly better trackpad, but IMO the Zenbook has a marginally better keyboard.

geek_vtecintegra, Feb 21, 10:48 am

Drat, damn my research. The Toshiba Z830 is on the cards. Anyone got one of these!Downside on the Z830 is the 1366*768 res and comments re screen being slightly flexible.It has better battery life than the Zenbook though.

geek_outlaw2, Feb 21, 10:38 pm

Listing #: 449910293. It appears that one does not have the 3G card but you can add one later on, they have a sim slot and aerials built in.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't see you were already down to 2 choices.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Feb 21, 10:48 pm