WHICH IS BEST? HP/TOSHIBA/ACER?

Is there a best and a worst out of these 3! Or all simliar for laptops!

geek_katiem87, Mar 1, 12:15 pm

Toshiba *best*
Acer *worst*

Cheap budget laptops are normally just that .

geek_blenheim-trader, Mar 1, 12:26 pm

thanks. would you reccommended a toshiba over a hp and acer!

geek_katiem87, Mar 1, 12:27 pm

Yes I would recommend Toshiba over Hp and Acer.

Reliability is a factor

http://www.laptopmag.com/mobile-life/best-brands-2011.aspx

geek_blenheim-trader, Mar 1, 12:35 pm

geek_blenheim-trader, Mar 1, 12:35 pm

HP, Acer, Toshiba for me
Acer and HP get bashed around a bit because they have such a massive market share so more of their stuff fails, but statistically speaking, not a lot of difference in failure rates when everything is collated. You should be more concerned about the quality of the tech support. Again, I go with HP on that

geek_rugbyreff, Mar 1, 1:28 pm

Acer = Bottom 'o' Barrel
HP = Running in the Middle of the Pack
Toshiba = Usually Good

geek_gibler, Mar 1, 1:56 pm

thanks everyone. getting some mixed opinions here. hard to know what to do!

geek_katiem87, Mar 1, 1:56 pm

Basically you get what you pay for - any very cheap system will be prone to failure, and the fact is Acer sells mostly cheap systems. I doubt the actually failure rates fro entry level Acer, HP, Toshiba, Asus systems are meaningfully different.

The other related problem is service when something does go wrong - here Acer does have a very bad reputation

geek_vtecintegra, Mar 1, 2:00 pm

thanks. apart from these three brands. are there any really top brands!

geek_katiem87, Mar 1, 2:10 pm

Yes Apple. the best of them all.

geek_ringo2, Mar 1, 2:42 pm

Don't touch HP. If something goes wrong their head office is located on Mars and you CANNOT find the phone number. And Noel Leeming don't want to know if they were the re sellers. They say they do in their "customer care" dept but they tell you to go and see the manager and he is ALWAYS on vacation.

geek_mikenel, Mar 1, 4:28 pm

Actually in a recent independent reliability test (PC Mag I think. i'll try and find the link) Apple got rated as one of the worst in terms of failure rate after 3 years.

Asus and Toshiba got rated the best, and they don't have Apple's price premium.

I can vouch for that, my last Macbook was in the repair shop for half its life. Come to think of it, so were all my iPods.

geek_suicidemonkey, Mar 1, 4:31 pm

Actually in a recent independent reliability test (PC Mag I think. i'll try and find the link) Apple got rated as one of the worst in terms of failure rate after 3 years.

Asus and Toshiba got rated the best, and they don't have Apple's price premium.

I can vouch for that, my last Macbook was in the repair shop for half its life. Come to think of it, so were all my iPods.

Edit:

here it is. ok not the worst, but not the best either:
http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/11/17/reliability.study.has.apple.4th.place/

geek_suicidemonkey, Mar 1, 4:31 pm

I personally recommend ASUS, sold dozens of them with no warranty returns at all.

geek_ceebee2, Mar 1, 4:46 pm

Nah. they are in the upper average category.

You really need to look at specific models rather than brands. For example Apple have had clunkers due to using particular models of hard drives. At work a particular Acer desktop model has had every PSU die.
Toshiba has had some lemon Satellite models. I've had Toshibas be DOA because of the RAM used.

geek_gibler, Mar 1, 4:58 pm

goforthetosheba

geek_neville106, Mar 1, 5:37 pm

100% agree.

geek_owene, Mar 1, 10:59 pm

My Acer laptop is into it's 4th year.Used every night.Not a worry with it at all.

geek_mrstoby21, Mar 1, 11:19 pm

Guess you didn't sell any 1215x netbooks which shipped with broken trackpads.

I still buy Asus products but their quality is definitely slipping as volumes increase

geek_vtecintegra, Mar 2, 10:35 am

totally agree. have had two acers. and no probs at all.

geek_may321, Mar 3, 8:55 am

Of course SOME of them aren't going to have problems, but trust the techs who see plenty of them coming in for repair on a daily basis.

geek_suicidemonkey, Mar 3, 11:44 am

ive had 3 Toshiba laptops in my time (centrino , core2duo, and an I3 processor) upgraded over the years for faster cpus.
The last two were work laptops and had a pretty hard life but never had a single issue with any of them.
Also have currently a HP laptop (only hp ive owned and for personal use) and the batterys died completely just after 12mths , so from my very small sample of laptops, im an advocate of toshibas over HPs.

(never had any battery probs with the toshibas and i had that centrino for years, the core2duo for 3 years and the i3 is coming up on a year now and no issues)

geek_ooseven1, Mar 3, 12:19 pm

Or the 1005HA with the faulty DC socket.

geek_rua69, Mar 3, 12:52 pm

Brought my Toshiba 4 years ago with in a year the buttons starting falling off,and A doesnt work nor back space so not impressed with it.Was well looked after also.

geek_submarine2, Mar 3, 4:59 pm

I think i got one of theose rubbish models

geek_submarine2, Mar 3, 5:01 pm

X2

geek_nufix72, Mar 3, 5:12 pm