Think this is a scam - Paypal email - any ideas?

jandalsnz1, Mar 3, 1:11am
I received the below email this morning and this amount has not been taken out of out bank account, nor have I ever bought a Sony Dgitial. I went into their website but refused to register as I think this is pretty dodgy -Feb 13, 2012 07:24:23 PDT
Transaction ID: 1DR345377P391

Dear PayPal Customer,

You sent a payment of $195.38 NZD to tinna4kids (store.lister@xtra.co.nz)
Thanks for using PayPal. To see all the transaction details, log in to your PayPal account.
It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.

Seller
tinna4kids
store.lister@xtra.co.nz

Shipping address - unconfirmed
Tina Duff
407 elm grove
Auckland 2010 New Zealand

Shipping details
USPS First Class Mail International
______________________________-

Payment sent to store.lister@xtra.co.nz

Note: If you haven't authorized this transaction ,click the link below to dispute transaction and get full refund.

Go to the Help Center at:www.paypal.com/nzd/help

Get verified !Pay with your bank and you're 100% protected against unauthorized payments sent from your PayPal account.
Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response.
For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click Help in the top right corner of any PayPal page.
To change your email notifications, log in to your PayPal account and go to your Profile to update your settings.

1999-2012 PayPal. All rights reserved.
PayPal Email ID PP543

gyrogearloose, Mar 3, 1:13am

lilyfield, Mar 3, 1:13am
need you even ask!

gyrogearloose, Mar 3, 1:13am
http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_URL/Services-Anti-Spam-Email-Scams-February-2012

reports it as a scam, about half way down, search for "tinna4kids", exactly the same wording & amount.

jandalsnz1, Mar 3, 1:18am
Thanks for the verification

lykaestria, Mar 3, 1:18am
But said link appears to be the actual paypal link for paypal.com!

very_hotpants, Mar 3, 1:35am
TM has no member tinna4kids nor an item that number 8417603050
But it could be ebay or sellar etc

plumbernick, Mar 3, 1:52am
PayPal will only ever email you.

Dear [first name] [second name]

Anything else will be scam related but obviously still be wary if your email has your full name within it.

kecal, Mar 3, 2:27am
this has been around for awhileforget itscam

chnman, Mar 3, 6:45am
A relative of mine received the exact same paypal scam email. He knew it was a scam, as he doesn't even have a paypal account. He forwarded the email to me. The paypal link actually takes you to a fake website. If you were to enter in a made up email address and password, like youarescammers@scamnenot.com, password = stupid_scammers, you'll find it proceeds to the next stage where they need to verify who you are, so then if you were to put in a fake name, fake credit card number, fake date of birth, fake mother's maiden name, what do you think the next and final scren says! It's something like "Thank You. The transaction has been cancelled".

These scam emails, sometimes from banks as well, are scams. Especially when they don't address you by your name. And then there are those scam phone calls saying you have errors and malware on your PC. They are scams too.just hang up.

chnman, Mar 3, 6:45am
A relative of mine received the exact same paypal scam email. He knew it was a scam, as he doesn't even have a paypal account. He forwarded the email to me. The paypal link actually takes you to a fake website. If you were to enter in a made up email address and password, like youarescammers@scamnenot.com, password = stupid_scammers, you'll find it proceeds to the next stage where they need to verify who you are, so then if you were to put in a fake name, fake credit card number, fake date of birth, fake mother's maiden name, what do you think the next and final screen says! It's something like "Thank You. The transaction has been cancelled".

These scam emails, sometimes from banks as well, are scams. Especially when they don't address you by your name. And then there are those scam phone calls saying you have errors and malware on your PC. They are scams too.just hang up.

cameragod, Mar 3, 7:46am
Got the same email today scam

sharon, Mar 4, 2:36pm
my son recieved same today, has no paypal account(he's 12 years old) and has purchased nothing on line, scam scam,

guest, Mar 4, 7:06pm
I reveived the same mail, and forwarded it to pay pall

guest, Mar 4, 7:07pm
yes, a scam

guest, Mar 4, 7:12pm
I even tried to send a mail to the adress and got it back with the following:
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

store.lister@xtra.co.nz

victor_raji, Mar 4, 11:50pm
Scam i got two t

guest-perth_cust, Mar 5, 12:01am
Scam came to Perth today, have since changed password at PayPal

guest, Mar 5, 12:18am
I got an email today. It is a scam definitely.

guest, Mar 5, 3:09am
Yep - me too. Wekas!!!

guest, Mar 5, 6:45am
where do you report the spam too?

guest, Apr 27, 6:36pm
It still around - just got one in the UK

guest, Apr 28, 3:16am
I just got one. It's from PaypaI (capital I not L on the end of paypal). Losers!

drcspy, Apr 30, 8:58am
I got some scam on me knob - $20~~~!!! drcspy.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)