LINUX MINT 10 and neighbours wireless router

our neighbours got a new wireless router and it is screwing up my laptop.
previuosly it would connect to my wireless router no problems. now it keeps trying t connect to the neighbours one as it has a stronger signal.

is there any way i can get mint to IGNORE any other wifi except mine!

geek_fordcrzy, Mar 30, 8:59 pm

Right click on the little bars go to Wireless and delete the connection that isnt yours.

geek_sonns79, Mar 30, 9:59 pm

Have you set it to Auto Connect! What WIFI channel are you using on your Router! You may be sharing similar channels, or the same. Change yours to a spectrum that's less clogged.Have you got an Android phone! If so, install "WIFI analyser" and find the best free space.

geek_badcam, Mar 30, 10:00 pm

Your laptop will only try and connect to the one that your it is configured for,strength of signal has nothing to do with which one it will attempt toconnect to.Your laptop looks for the network NAME that it is configured for in your wireless configuration on the laptop. Your neighbours might interfere but it won't take priority.Change the channel in your router if you keep getting dropouts and interference.

geek_shaneo2, Mar 30, 10:13 pm

Your laptop will only try and connect to the one that it is configured for,strength of signal has nothing to do with which one it will attempt toconnect to.Your laptop looks for the network NAME that it is configured for in your wireless configuration on the laptop and then attempts to authenticate. Your neighbours might interfere but it won't take priority unles you have identical network names,which is possible if you have the same routers and havent changed the default network name.If so change yours also .Also change the channel in your router if you keep getting dropouts and interference.

Your laptop will only try and connect to the one that it is configured for,strength of signal has nothing to do with which one it will attempt toconnect to.Your laptop looks for the network NAME that it is configured for in your wireless configuration on the laptop and then attempts to authenticate. Your neighbours might interfere but it won't take priority unles you have identical network names,which is possible if you have the same routers and havent changed the default network name.If so change yours .Also change the channel in your router if you keep getting dropouts and interference.

I have similar issue. But the problem is not correctly defined.

First, geek_fordcrzy, your laptop only connects to so-called favorite wireless connections, ie connections you connected to in the past, or "tried" to connect to, in the past. Then you probably

Second, your initial problem was probably similar to the one I face now. ie your laptop tries to connect to your router, but it fails for some reason (wrong key, router stuck, ...). Your laptop probably tries to connect to your router two or three times, before abandoning. And most probably you see mesages like "can establish connection" or "disconnected" or "fails to connect" popping up. These are the messages I see on my Linux Mint 12. Because it is not stupid, network manager stops trying to connect to your router, and tries other in his favorite list, that is your neighbour's connection.

Third, that explain. Your neighbour connection does not take precedence to your own router. They just come in because your laptop fails to connect to yours, AND you tried to connect to your neighbor's routers in the past...

Now what i also need to find out : how can I reset the password stored in Mint for my connection. Or can I access to it and retype it...

geek_emeric, Apr 26, 1:31 pm

ok found my way out of this :)
What happened is that yesterday my router crashed. My laptop lost its connection, and asks me to re-enter my secret key, to reconnect to the router. But I waas typing on gmail, and typed erroneously two characters in the (damn bloody) popup and validated. From that time network manager got the wrong key for my network. But I have realized it at first... That's only after rebooting my router, finding out that my phone could connect to my router, but my laptop couldn't that I told myself, something's fishy down here :)

Let's sum up:
1. Check that your router has not crashed. If you're not sure, restart it.
2. Go in network manager and check that the key stored for you router is correct. Otherwise correct it !
$ nm-connection-editor
3. Delete your neighbour connections in the connection editor and close.
4. Come back here to say if this helps or not :)

Thanks,
Emeric

geek_emeric, Apr 26, 1:46 pm

I had similar issue too.
Good ideas posted here
- "Have you got an Android phone! If so, install "WIFI analyser" and find the best free" channel. App name is inSSIDer
- if you have windows computer with wifim you can install inSSIDer also
- if dont have andorid or windows use you mint, in terminal write "sudo iwlist wlan0 scan"
Analyse output and find out which channels are used and by whom.
Then find out free channel and setup your router to use it instead of auto.

geek_guest, Oct 29, 9:28 am