Mozilla Thunderbird

It seems that my poor laptop has had a problem downloading a constant stream of updates from Windoew.In the past few days it has been unanle to configure past about 56 %, so I turn it off and then restart and away it goes again, up to 56%, and then same deal.After about 20 restarts, it finally configured the updates.During all of this, something happened with Kaspersky and I had to re-enter the licence key to resume protection.Also, Mozilla Thunderbird mysteriously disappeared!I downloaded a newer version (11.0) but have completely lost all my previous emails, pay slips, outbox, inbox, accounts paid on line etc.I still have the address book, but nothing else.Any suggestions as to what to do next to find this stuff!Or will it be gone forever!Thanks.

geek_joystik, Mar 17, 9:08 pm

Start Thunderbird.
Select TOOLS, then ACCOUNT SETTINGS.
On the left, scroll down and select LOCAL FOLDERS.
Take note of the "xxxxxxxx.default" name. All the x I have indicated will be a mixture of numbers and letters.

The profile name you noted should be found in the following location. This is for Windows 7, it might be a slightly different path in older versions of Windows.

C:\Users\<Windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\Thund-
erbird\Profiles\<Profile name>\

If you can't see the AppData folder you'll need to enable viewing hidden folders/files in control panel (folder options, view, hidden files and folders).

Open the PROFILES folder, and you should see the xxxxxxxx.default folder. If there are other xxxxxxxx folders, this might be a previous profile where your email etc is. If this is the case, carry on to next step below.

Make sure Thunderbird is closed.

Now bring up the run box, easiest to press and hold the Windows key and then press R. In the run box type the following:

thunderbird /p

(Note there is a space before the /).

The "choose user profile" should appear. Click "create profile", then click Next. Then "choose folder", then navigate to the "other" xxxxxxxx folder you found.

Post back if you get stuck or it doesn't work.

geek_chnman, Mar 17, 10:16 pm

Thanks chnman, I will try this afterwork this afternoon, and let you know how I get on.

geek_joystik, Mar 18, 4:14 am

Heallo again,

I went to TOOLS, then ACCOUNT SETTINGS, but I dont have LOCAL FOLDERS!I have COPIES and FOLDERS.There is no default name that I can see.Sorry, I am not up with the play here really am I!I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit . Now what to do!.

geek_joystik, Mar 18, 5:15 pm

First of all run a disk drive diagnostic. I suspect you may be seeing the first signs of a failing hard drive.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 18, 5:47 pm

When you start Thunderbird, without even going into the Tools/Account Settings, do you see on the left side "Local Folders" anywhere! If you do, right-click on that and select 'settings'.

geek_chnman, Mar 18, 6:33 pm

OK.how!

geek_joystik, Mar 18, 6:39 pm

Hi Chnman - on the left side I have Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Archives, (sub folder 2012) and Deleted.No Local folders anywhere that I can see.

geek_joystik, Mar 18, 6:53 pm

Are those items - inbox, etc under your email account (which should show in bold type)! If so, right-click the bold type and select "settings", then in the window appearing select "server settings", and see what it says under "local directory".

geek_chnman, Mar 18, 7:03 pm

Ok.it says this.
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming-
\Thunderbird\Profiles\6n2rq6cu-
.default\Mail\pop3.xtra.co.nz

geek_joystik, Mar 18, 7:08 pm

OK, take note of 6n2rq6cu.default, then go back to my post #2.

Start from the 2nd paragraph ("The profile name you noted.") and carry on.

geek_chnman, Mar 18, 7:15 pm

Ok - I have done all that but not found my old emails.!

geek_joystik, Mar 18, 8:28 pm

OK, so I assume you found no other "profiles", apart from the one you mentioned in post #10.

Open Thunderbird, and right-click the Inbox, and select "Properties". Then click "repair folder". Anything happen!

geek_chnman, Mar 18, 8:38 pm

I got this message
The operation failed because an other operation is using the folder. Please wait for that operation to finish and then try again.

geek_joystik, Mar 18, 8:43 pm

Log off user account or restart Windows, then try again.

geek_chnman, Mar 18, 8:44 pm

Sorry - doesnt seem to have worked.:(

geek_joystik, Mar 18, 9:20 pm

Using Windows Explorer, go to the "pop3.xtra.co.nz" folder as you indicated earlier (see path below). Right-click the pop3. folder and select properties. For size, how many MB is it!

\Thunderbird\Profiles\6n2rq6cu-
.default\Mail\pop3.xtra.co.nz

geek_chnman, Mar 18, 9:26 pm

See the following link referring to ???Recovering a profile that suddenly disappeared???. I haven??t had to do this myself, but it looks like you??d best print it out if you decide to try it out, as it may be easier.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Recovering_a_profile_that_suddenly_disappeared I would suggest a few things BEFORE attempting the above. Firstly, I saw within the item above about running a chkdsk. This alone won??t fix the Thunderbird problem, but might be best to run anyway. (If you don??t know how, click Start, Computer. Right-click the C:\ drive then select Properties. Then under Tools, you??ll see Error Checking. Select ???check now???).
Next, if you have an external hard drive with available space, create a new folder and rename it ???Thunderbird Profile Backup??? or whatever name you wish. Then, COPY the Profiles folder from following location to the new folder on external hard drive:

\Thunderbird\Profiles\

So on the external hard drive, let??s assume it is the E:\ drive. Once Profiles folder has been copied to the new folder (which I assume you??ve called ???Thunderbird Profile Backup???) on external hard drive, the path should look as follows:

E:\Thunderbird Profile Backup\Profiles\

Then clicking on the Profiles folder above to open it should show profile/s like the one you mentioned earlier (6n2rq6cu.default).

Now this is a backup of your Profiles. It??s just good to back it up in case somehow something goes wrong while trying further things. If you don??t have external hard drive, I suppose you could use a USB stick or CD/DVD??s in a similar way.Or even create the ???Thunderbird Profile Backup??? folder on the C:\ drive somewhere, like within the Documents folder, and then copy/paste as usual. Whatever you do in all situations, make sure you COPY, Not Cut.

Another idea is to install MailStore Home (link below). This might find your emails, it is a program that is free and I have used it successfully previously. If Thunderbird somehow has ???forgotten??? where your profile is, MailStore Home should find it, providing of course your mail is not gone forever.

MailStore Home
http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstore-home.aspx

See how you get on with this??Good Luck.

geek_chnman, Mar 18, 11:04 pm