Acer, Windows 7 = external DVD drive

Put a DVD with movies or data into the drive. Does it show now!

geek_r.g.nixon, Mar 9, 2:43 pm

is the external DVD drive new, Put a disk in !

geek_swivel, Mar 9, 2:43 pm

Try restarting your PC.

geek_lostdude, Mar 9, 5:26 pm

geek_chnman, Mar 9, 5:41 pm

You don't, just give it another letter.

geek_lostdude, Mar 9, 6:15 pm

Did you run the troubleshooter for Win 7 in the link provided in post #7!

Have you unplugged the external DVD drive, then restarted computer, then once booted back into Windows, reinsert the external DVD drive via USB cable! Then wait a few mins then see if it shows up.

geek_chnman, Mar 9, 7:23 pm

After doing that, did you try removing ext dvd drive, restart computer, then re-connect!

geek_chnman, Mar 9, 7:45 pm

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/11/209191411_full.jpg

In your image above, I would say the following:

1st volume (no letter assigned) is the recovery partition set up by Acer, and will not be shown in windows explorer. Don't do anything with this.

2nd volume will be the Android.

3rd volume is the main win 7 partition where all the data is stored. Keep that as "C." Don't change letter.

4th volume is a win 7 "system reserved" partition which has no letter assigned. No need to touch this.

If the external dvd drive was successfully showing, it would likely automatically be given letter D. You normally don't need to assign a letter, it will be automatic. If D was taken, it would go to E.

Also, what is the brand and model number of the external dvd drive!

geek_chnman, Mar 9, 8:06 pm

Drive D is Android. In the image you put up, it says "A".

geek_chnman, Mar 9, 8:10 pm

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/51/209200451_full.jpg

The Android is definitely D from your image above.

It says "Hard Disk Drives (2)" in blue, then shows the two drives C and D. Underneath that, does it say "Devices with Removable Storage (.)" in blue! And if so, what number in the brackets! (.)

geek_chnman, Mar 9, 8:23 pm

Does it give any "more info" links or anything!

geek_chnman, Mar 9, 8:49 pm

Maybe try these.

Make sure the external dvd drive is plugged into computer, and that it is turned on (it might have an on/off switch on the rear). Then go into Computer Management (click start, in search box type computer management), then click on "Disk Management" (under Storage). Then at top where it says File/Action/View/Help, select "Action", then "Rescan Disks". See if anything comes up.

geek_chnman, Mar 9, 8:55 pm

This is MY image of disk management screen:
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/93/209208993_full.jpg

If you look at the grey area, my dvd drive (internal) is shown. I have put a black arrow pointing to it. Does this show in your disk management!

geek_chnman, Mar 9, 9:34 pm

I was just looking at the pic in the auction that you posted and it had a driver CD/DVD, seems a little odd being that most people would buy the product because they don't have a cd/dvd drive lol.

As for your issue, have you tried using the drive in any of your other USB ports or from another computer!

geek_wellystretch, Mar 9, 9:49 pm

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f149/acer-external-dvd-multi-drive-not-detected-613647.html

Some USB powered drives have problems in SOME computers, as mentioned in above. Though you did say device was installed earlier, so I don't know.just thought I'd let you read it.

geek_chnman, Mar 9, 10:04 pm

What is the model number of the Acer! I assume it is a "Netbook".

geek_chnman, Mar 9, 10:16 pm

In disk management there are 2 panes. The top pane shows only disk drives, no optical drives will be listed there. Check the bottom half of the pane. It will be listed if it's detected which should look like this:

CD-ROM 0
DVD (E:)
No Media

If there is no letter - e.g. (E:) - associated with it, right click & assign it one.

Right click CD-ROM 0 then click "Change drive letter and paths"

geek_lostdude, Mar 9, 10:49 pm

What happens if you remove the Android, then connect external dvd drive!

geek_chnman, Mar 9, 10:50 pm

See posts #27 and 28.

geek_chnman, Mar 9, 10:51 pm

Oh well, its not even detected. OP, hold Windows Key + R, type devmgmt.msc then post a screenshot

geek_lostdude, Mar 9, 10:55 pm

Yup nothing, have you tried installing the drivers that it came with!

geek_lostdude, Mar 9, 11:13 pm

Maybe I'm on the wrong track here.is it the Android OS that was preinstalled, or something like an Android phone! It probably is the OS.so forget what I said.(about removing).

geek_chnman, Mar 9, 11:17 pm

haha true that. Do you have another working computer you can copy the driver cd onto a flash drive with, then transfer over to that one!

geek_lostdude, Mar 9, 11:23 pm

Ok, have you tried another USB port! The only other thing I can think of is not enough juice supplied from your laptop's USB. A powered USB hub will fix that but the only way to know is if you try another device which has a similar power draw. Know anybody with a 2.5" external HDD! Or know anybody with a PC that you can test that drive with! That will eliminate whether it's the drive or your laptop.

geek_lostdude, Mar 9, 11:31 pm

Your 2TB drive will be powered anyway. If you've tried it through the powered USB hub & still nothing then it will have to be either something wrong with the drive or it requires some propriety drivers.

geek_lostdude, Mar 9, 11:38 pm

Wow, that could've been useful way back then. That error is very common and usually a direct result of a bad cable. Try a different USB cable.

geek_lostdude, Mar 9, 11:39 pm

So it works now!

geek_lostdude, Mar 9, 11:43 pm

damn. thought you got it working since most manuals are usually supplied in the CD. Anyway, since you've exhausted nearly every other possibility you can do for now, the last things you can try is to get the seller to email you the drivers and/or try it on another computer.

geek_lostdude, Mar 9, 11:46 pm

OP did get it to work on another laptop (post #30)

geek_chnman, Mar 9, 11:49 pm

Oh right, been skipping through instead of following properly. Ok so definitely a problem with the OP's laptop then.

The only thing I can think of now is to flush the USB cache. To do that, first remove any USB devices you have connected (including the drive in question) then go back to Device Manager. Expand "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and right click "USB Root Hub" then click uninstall. Do the same for any other "USB Root Hub" listed. Finally restart. Once fully loaded back into Windows (be patient here and wait as Windows will be reinstalling your USB controllers) reconnect the dvd drive.

geek_lostdude, Mar 9, 11:57 pm

Yeah thats the point I was trying to make, how is someone supposed to load the drivers for a CD/DVD drive, from said CD/DVD if the drivers aren't already installed, doesn't make any sense lol

geek_wellystretch, Mar 10, 4:54 pm