Comparision between Intel Core i7

mrstoby21, Apr 8, 9:46am
and Intel Core Pentuim dual - core processors.
Looking at HP DV6-6C36TXlaptops tomorrow.Have Acer Aspire 5720Z at moment, now about 5 years old. No trouble with it at all apart from a bit slow at responding opening pages etc now. Need a laptop for the kids to use so mine will be fine for them.What is the better, if you can compare in that way of the 2 types.Going to Smith City where the Acer came from because of their easypay.

mazdasix, Apr 8, 9:51am
Intel i7 is far superior, but it's probably overkill. look for an intel i5. and i'd stay away from HP personally. And Acer.

Asus and Toshiba are both top brands.

gj, Apr 8, 9:55am
Agree - (and Lenovo) and even an i3 is better than Pentium C2D.

vtecintegra, Apr 8, 10:03am
You're very unlikely to see any difference between a current Gen i5 and a current Gen i7 - they're both extremely fast processors and laptops are bottlenecked by other components.

Really other considerations are much more important - How good is the keyboard and trackpad! How is screen quality/resolution! Battery life! The right ports to suit your peripherals! All important but often overlooked.

zaowl, Apr 8, 11:16am
+1 core i5 is more than adequate for most people. Keyboard & trackpad useability along with screen quality & ports are IMHO equally if not more important.

cgsdr007, Apr 8, 4:37pm
i7 will be like Heaven and Pentium Dual Core will be like hell, because Pentium is an obsolete technology even it is a dual core, it is still slower than the recent Core 2 Duo.

cgsdr007, Apr 8, 4:37pm
i7 will be like Heaven and Pentium Dual Core will be like hell, because Pentium is an obsolete technology even it is a dual core, it is still slower than the recent Core 2 Duo. I think Atom is more comparable with the Pentium Dual Core.

vtecintegra, Apr 8, 9:57pm
Its way more complex than that - you need to look at the individual CPU ignore what heading it comes under.

The Sandybridge Pentiums are very similar to the Sandybridge i3 but with no hyperthreading and a little less cache - still very fast

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)