Mac Book Pro - Power adapter

Anyone else had any issues with these!

Mines just giving up the ghost after 18 months. Havent been rough on it at all so Im quite surprised about it giving out although now from what Ive been reading, its not all that uncommon. Am off to buy a new one tomorrow but still, just a bit annoyed about having to fork out $130 for a new one! Ouch!

geek_kiwigal007, Apr 19, 4:19 pm

Crapple.

geek_henry284, Apr 19, 4:25 pm

Yep. A macbook Air power adapter died suddenly within one month.
Get Apple to replace it.

geek_gibler, Apr 19, 4:25 pm

Hmmm dont think they will after 18 months use but I can only but try!

Im thinking you're right there henry lol

geek_kiwigal007, Apr 19, 4:27 pm

HP is just as bad for this sort of thing with their products.

geek_wellystretch, Apr 19, 5:26 pm

Quote them the CGA.

geek_gibler, Apr 19, 5:27 pm

Would you happen to know where I could find the relevant info for that gibler! TIA :)

geek_kiwigal007, Apr 19, 5:35 pm

geek_gibler, Apr 19, 5:59 pm

it happens quite a bit because the world is full of retards who yank on the cable, breaking the insulation and causing it to short out.

go gentle on them, twist the block to remove them rather than pulling the cable and you wont have any issues

Remember like any product there will be the odd failure, and with apple selling truck loads of these there no doubt will be lots of failures too.

geek_morrisman1, Apr 19, 7:02 pm

Give AppleCare a call and just mention that the MacBook Pro is about a year old. They may replace it under the 12month warranty anyway. I have found AppleCare to be very reasonable when it has come to these sorts of issues - e.g they replaced the battery in my brothers MacBook even though they were aware of it being 3 months out of warranty - no need to quote the CGA either

geek_trey_dah, Apr 19, 7:24 pm

I have been very gentle with the cord morrisman, thats the thing! This mac is my baby lol

Will try giving applecare a ring tomorrow and see what they say, thanks trey :) Would love it even if they made replacement cables as the actual adapter and extension to wall is fine! Its just the cable from adapter to comp thats buggered.

geek_kiwigal007, Apr 19, 11:10 pm

If you can wait, you can get them from laptop battery in chch for less than that if you have no luck with CGA.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Apr 19, 11:14 pm

Oh cool, good to know thanks pyro! :) I could go a few more days but need it for study next week. Will see what they say tomorrow. *crosses fingers*

geek_kiwigal007, Apr 19, 11:16 pm

what do you mean when you say it stops working!
There is a bit of a weakness around where the cable joins the adaptor.

Two things you can do: mix up a tiny bit of epoxy glue and stick it right where the cable from the computer joins the sleeve on the adaptor.
The other thing is don't wrap it tightly at that point, leave a slight loop.

And yeah, don't yank it, but that goes without saying with anything.

geek_-mung-, Apr 19, 11:18 pm

It started going a bit screwy a week ago, would only work if the cable was a certain way/position. Then it just gave up yesterday no matter how I moved it (trying not to twist it!).

Will keep your trick in mind, thanks mung :)

geek_kiwigal007, Apr 19, 11:21 pm

Hmm worth trying my luck on here if no go with Applecare!

e.g http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx!id=466793867

Any good!

geek_kiwigal007, Apr 19, 11:34 pm

No, it happens because Apple don't put proper strain reliefs on their cables, for aesthetic reasons, so they break in normal use. They settled a class action lawsuit over the MBP power adapter recently, though the replacement program is for the US only. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4127

I love that they define "strain relief" as a condition where the cable is broken! Yes, that is one form of relief I guess.

geek_drsr, Apr 20, 8:52 am

Heaps of PC power adapters fail too, due to cables breaking in the connectors. I've repaired three of them, and thats just within my group of mates. The apple ones are significantly better with the later 'right-angle' design but still hear of the odd one having issues

geek_morrisman1, Apr 20, 9:12 pm

Well didnt get anywhere with apple care, he just wasnt even interested. Was going to take it into Yoobee but dont really think theres much point as what can they do!

He did suggest third party products were fine (interesting I thought that he would say that!) so might just go in that direction. Heck I could get two for the price of one so no biggy if it craps out in a years time.

Thanks for all your help though guys, really appreciate it :)

geek_kiwigal007, Apr 20, 9:25 pm

Once again.get it fixed under the CGA (assuming that you use the laptop for non-business use). Those power adapters aren't cheap so they should last well after 3 years of use. Don't be a wimpy consumer.

geek_gibler, Apr 20, 9:30 pm

You know what, I do agree with you. I might just go in (with hubby as backup of course lol) and see what they say, thank you! :) I will also use the article above to make the point about it should be fit for purpose.

geek_kiwigal007, Apr 20, 9:34 pm

They are a bit crap in that one respect though, right where the cable joins the adaptor, and it could have been avoided but would have been slightly less pretty. I look after my adaptor and still the cable started coming out of the sleeve eventually. The glue sorted it though and you can't see it either.

geek_-mung-, Apr 20, 9:43 pm

Really! wow. we have bought two and both have caused us touchpad issues. Worst thing is that they were represented as being genuine and they weren't cheap!. With the issues we are having they are clearly not genuine. These being touchpad issues when the adaptors are plugged in, mine goes absolutely stupid highlighting stuff that I haven't hightlighted, my colleague just had stupid behaviour. Removing said adaptor and running off battery resolved the problem every time. I now can't use said Mac on mains reliably as I don't have an alternate 85w ac to use.

geek_zaowl, Apr 20, 10:08 pm

Really! wow. we have bought two and both have caused us touchpad issues. Worst thing is that they were represented as being genuine and they weren't cheap!. With the issues we are having they are clearly not genuine. These being touchpad issues when the adaptors are plugged in, mine goes absolutely stupid highlighting stuff that I haven't hightlighted, my colleague just had stupid behaviour. Removing said adaptor and running off battery resolved the problem every time. I now can't use said Mac on mains reliably as I don't have an alternate GENUINE 85w ac to use.

Really! wow. we have bought two and both have caused us touchpad issues. Worst thing is that they were represented as being genuine and they weren't cheap!. With the issues we are having they are clearly not genuine. These being touchpad issues when the adaptors are plugged in, mine goes absolutely stupid highlighting stuff that I haven't hightlighted, my colleague just had stupid behaviour. Removing said adaptor and running off battery resolved the problem every time.To troubleshoot my colleague borrowed a genuine 65w AC from me to use on his 13" and the problems he was having disappeared. I now can't use my Mac on mains reliably as I don't have an alternate GENUINE 85w ac to use.