I need new software for my printer?

zuggle, Apr 20, 8:33am
This is infuriating. I did a lot of automatic updates on my Apple yesterday and when I came to use my printer (Brother HL 2040) it tells me I now need software to work this printer! Well damn it, I can't afford to buy software of any sort at the moment.
I'm in my 60s so please don't talk techno to me but if anyone can tell me step by step how to negate this I would be so grateful.

r.g.nixon, Apr 20, 8:43am
Printer drivers are always available for free - from the manufacturers website.

blenheim-trader, Apr 20, 8:49am
Not a Apple user , but ill assume that its asking for drivers.
First you need to find what Operating System version you have.
http://www.apple.com/support/mobileme/en/os_version.html Then download the appropriate software from here. http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/as/nz/en/dlf/download_top.html!reg=as&c=nz&lang=en&prod=hl20
40_all

gibler, Apr 20, 9:04am

zuggle, Apr 20, 9:38pm
My details are: Mac OS X Snow Leopard
with Brother HL 2040 monochrome laser printer

I have downloaded Brotherlaser x6_410.dmgIs this the right one to instal, please!

zuggle, Apr 20, 11:37pm
Please someone help. I have the icon brxlaserx6_410 on the right hand upper corner of my screen and I have been "told" that I have downloaded it successfully but. tearing hair out. it still doesn't work the printer.
Please tell me step by step i.e. click on this, go to this and click on this.Believe it or not, I do have a brain but not in this area of knowledge. treat me as a greenhorn PLEASE.

poggle2, Apr 21, 12:40am
Hi zuggle I'm no tecno either but I googled Brother HL 2040, opened top site on page. On right of next you will find brother solution cntr, click updates. These a download link there or further down you will see mac os 10.7 info. It may help you I'm not a mac user and I dont have a printer on this putr so cant advance any further. good luck

poggle2, Apr 21, 12:43am
ok post #32nd link sends u to same page

blenheim-trader, Apr 21, 12:47am
1. Download the target file to your Macintosh. Once downloaded, the Installer Disk Image will be mounted on your Desktop. You will find the installer package icon "xxxxxxxx.pkg" on the desktop.

Note:
If you don't find the installer package icon, please extract the downloaded file "xxxxxxxx.dmg" manually with the Macintosh "Disk Utility". The "Disk Utility " can be found in /Applications/Utilities. Using the "Disk Utility", the Installer Disk Image can be mounted.

2. Double click the installer package icon "xxxxxxxx.pkg". Follow the instructions on the screen.
3. Turn off and unplug the machine from the AC outlet and disconnect it from your Macintosh if you already connected an interface cable.
4. Connect the USB interface cable to your Macintosh, and then connect it to the machine.
Note:
Do not connect the machine to a USB port on a keyboard or a non-powered USB hub.
5. Plug the AC power cord into an AC outlet. Turn on the machine.
6. The printer driver will be installed automatically.
7. You need to make sure if the installation of the printer driver is complete.
8. Select "System Preferences" from the Apple Menu.
9. Click the "Print & Fax" icon.
10. Check if your Brother machine is displayed in the "Printers" section.
11. If your Brother machine is displayed, the setup is now complete.
If your Brother machine is not displayed, try to disconnect and connect the USB interface cable to your Macintosh again. And then repeat the steps 8 - 10 to check if the installation of the printer driver is complete.

zuggle, Apr 21, 2:01am
Thank you so much posters poggle2 and blenheim-trader. Am a fulltime artist busy trying to earn a crust in the studio at the moment, just popped back on to see if any knights in shining armour have appeared - and they have! Thank you so very, very much. Looks straight forward enough, shall attend to in the evening. Great stuff!

zuggle, Apr 21, 5:39am
Well I've done everything b-t listed above, points 1-11 all carefully read and carried out where necessary and ZILCH. printer still won't work. I have repeated the process three times in case I missed something, and the last time with partner watching to make sure I wasn't missing anything. And now I have a grey icon called Installer with an arrow, on the dock - was I meant to insert a bank disc or something! I thought I was downloading to hard drive!

zuggle, Apr 21, 5:39am
Well I've done everything b-t listed above, points 1-11 all carefully read and carried out where necessary and ZILCH. printer still won't work. I have repeated the process three times in case I missed something, and the last time with partner watching to make sure I wasn't missing anything. And now I have a grey icon called Installer with an arrow, on the dock - was I meant to insert a blank disc or something! I thought I was downloading to hard drive!
Sorry to be such a pain in the proverbial, but it's all new to me and I am trying.

zuggle, Apr 21, 9:09am
bumpity

groovebox, Apr 21, 9:15am
Have u tried calling Brother! Worth a shot - it may take awhile to get thru but certainly doable. Wait till Mon tho.

The installer.dmg *is* a disk (sort of) so once installed the printer should show up in "Sys Prefs > Printer / Fax etc."

Have u any other devices (Other then k/bd or mouse) plugged in!

donna_jo29, Apr 21, 11:34am
huh. and im in my 30's i thought he said no techno business, i didnt get any of this.coz my printers are not working also. ive taken them into the print shop to get fixed for 15$ but im having a feeling it is drivers also! but it was working last week

zuggle, Apr 21, 6:52pm
Donna, my printer says this: "You need to install software to use this printer. To install the software, choose Software Update from the Apple menu. If the software for your printer isn??

wombatunder, Apr 21, 8:00pm
Did you actually try that first, before everything else!Presumably, given that you got the updated software directly from Brother, it should also be accessible through Software Update.The benefit of doing it that way is that it will do all the necessary stuff without further intervention from you.

By the way, contacting Brother support via email won't cost you anything.That said, blenheim-trader gave you a detailed walk-through that's unlikely to be bettered by any support desk.but here's a contracted link that takes you to a form you can fill out and send to them.
http://tinyurl.com/7dbu48h
Make sure that you provide all the details it asks for - look on the underside of the printer for model, serial number, etc.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)