Advice for a web camera for a Panasonic smart TV

Hey, We have a Panasonic TH-P46GT30 plasma smart TV. We want to hook up Skype but need a camera. Does anyone know if a generic camera will work! if so what model etc OR, are we stuck having to use the the over priced Panasonic TY-CC10W Skype Camera! Any help would be great, Cheers

geek_ruaphu, Apr 29, 3:01 pm

Try your local TV appliance store.

geek_ceebee2, Apr 30, 10:58 am

yeah and pay astronomical prices.

geek_mone, Apr 30, 12:57 pm

Any other ideas or advice!

geek_ruaphu, May 4, 9:54 am

Is the connection on the TV USB! If so I would think any modern camera would work, and I wouldn't pay more than $30 new for it.

geek_slimdog, May 4, 10:08 am

You talk twaddle, as if the TV magically has a driver for any webcam.

geek_spyware, May 4, 2:45 pm

I think you will need to use the PANASONIC one. I have a SAMSUNG TV and had to use a SAMSUNG webcam.

geek_thewomble1, May 4, 3:05 pm

what, like a skype ready tv wouldn't be plug and play with a standard webcam!

geek_slimdog, May 4, 3:05 pm

Yeah, we tried the PC cam we have, but no go, so have to go along with spyware's comment.

geek_ruaphu, May 4, 3:06 pm

Yeah I was too lazy to search the model, its not as smart as it says. And none of the specs said anything about skype.

geek_slimdog, May 4, 3:19 pm

agree with you there i mean look at Windows operating system, and the size of it and it's driver database you think a poxy old TV is going to have a driver database of every usb webcam available.heck no.
Gotta love it don't you while you can buy a TV for a lot cheaper these days and the peripherals cost you an arm and a leg.Skype cam $100+, wireless adapter $100+, active 3d glasses $99 and you have no choice as you have to use the devices that the manufacturer says for your tv and can't buy some generic cheap brand cos it won't work.

geek_rdeejay, May 4, 7:06 pm