Printer Smoke

jimkahu1, May 31, 4:56am
Hi just bought a new laserjet printer, was an end of line clerance and had been on the shop floor.

Anyway I ran a couple of test pages and noticed that a bit of light smoke appeared while printing! is that normal for a laserjet! could it be dust from sitting burning off! I didn't smell anything like you do with a heater burning dust.

Thoughts and help please

Thanks

r.g.nixon, May 31, 5:52am
You own a fire extinguisher, right! No worries then!

spyware, May 31, 5:58am
More lightly steam from damp paper as it goes through the fuser.

gibler, May 31, 6:01am
google "hp laserjet steam" for some fun!

wellystretch, May 31, 6:01am
Try burning a bunch of similar objects, if they smell the same then you have your answer!

_sms_, May 31, 6:23am
Buying HP is like burning money anyway.

jimkahu1, May 31, 6:29am
I'm not HPs biggest fan (had some bad experiences with them and worse with compaq) but the price was right so if i get a couple of years out of it all will be good

pyro_sniper2002, May 31, 6:32am
+1 keep your paper in a dry place

little_egypt, May 31, 8:49am
My printer's in an outside room, and the few cold mornings when I need to print something it really looks like the printer's on fire. I should film it some time and put the clip on youtube.

richard112, May 31, 8:58am
Have an HP 1505 that does that. Swine of a thing. Prints really fast. Steams, and puts an horrendous curl in the paper. Not possible to print both sides as second time thru it self destructs. Grayscale images are crap as well. Have gone back to my old HP 1000.

wombatunder, May 31, 9:38am
Don't kick yourself for buying an HP printer.It's their laptops that are rubbish.The printers just keep on keeping on, like the Energizer bunny.The toner lasts for ages and prints to the last speck. Likewise the cartridges in the inkjet printers.I can decidedly vouch for them!

wombatunder, May 31, 9:46am
If the 1505 is troublesome, take it back! Otherwise it's just a good resource going to waste.
If it's just damp paper that's making it misbehave, store the paper in a closed box with some packets of silica gel and don't load excess paper in the hopper.Don't forget, also, with laser printers you do need to twist and fan the block of paper and make sure you load it with the convex of the curve upwards.

richard112, May 31, 10:17pm
I think the 1505 is doing what it does best. Rattling off pages at a fast rate. My comment re grayscale was possibly a bit unfair. It is possible to get reasonable images, but you have to compensate way on the low contrast side (photoshop) Persevered with it for about a year before I repossessed my old 1000 from the local Seniornet where I had donated it. Offered them the 1505 but they declined. They didn't have much use for a non-colour printer anyway. 1505 was my 3rd HP. First a 6L! then the 1000. The 6 (whatever) gave you a lot of control over the print density. the 1000 just two settings, and the 1505 no control whatsoever. Has me wondering if it's possible to view a printer driver before you buy the machine.

r.g.nixon, May 31, 10:40pm
Sure. You don't have to have the printer before loading (even using) the driver. We have drivers to match some of our customer's printers so that we can set up 'output' with the correct sized margins.

lostdude, May 31, 10:41pm
True for network printers, not so much for USB. Most require you to plug in the printer during installation and won't proceed until you do so.

richard112, Jun 1, 5:57am
Had a really intelligent post entered here about midday but apparently forgot to press the big blue button. Bugger. I think it went along the lines that if you could view (run without applying) the drivers to hardware, it would give you a better appraisal of how the hardware might fit your particular requirements. Before you spend the $$$.
In contrast w/ reading reviews from people possibly at the other end of your usage spectrum.Sorry. Several B & Ds by this time.

richard112, Jun 1, 5:57am
Had a really intelligent post entered here about midday but apparently forgot to press the big blue button. Bugger. I think it went along the lines that if you could view (run without applying) the drivers to hardware, it would give you a better appraisal of how the hardware might fit your particular requirements. Before you spend the $$$.
In contrast w/ reading reviews from people possibly at the other end of your usage spectrum.Sorry. Several B & Ds by this time. +1

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)