Formatting a new HDD, Advice please.

I manged to get the HDD in an Asus Eee notebook going again after trying the Seagate repair advice after much help from this forum.

I was told that it would be best to replace the HDD as ithad been damaged and repaired and can be unstable.

If I buy a new 2.5" HDD, how do I format the OS and all of the existing stuffonto the replacement one!

geek_budgel, May 27, 10:19 am

If you have another computer you can run this on and slave the source and target to it.
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html If you want to run it on the computer with the dodgy drive use Clonezilla LiveCDhttp://clonezilla.org/

BE REAL CAREFUL CHOOSING THE SOURCE AND TARGET DRIVES.
It will be all bad news if you get them around the wrong way.

geek_king1, May 27, 10:52 am

Install the new drive, put the old one in an external USB enclosure. Then load up a cloning CD (I'd suggest Ghost for newbie users, clonezilla is a bit technical) and clone the external drive onto the new one.

With a GUI tool like Ghost you get a graphical representation of the partitions and used space so it's very unlikely you'll mistakenly clone the new blank drive onto the old one.

geek_little_egypt, May 27, 11:17 am

What model E!

geek_jancemord, May 27, 11:19 am

ghost so long as it's a newish version. as ghost 2003 which was excellent WILL NOT successfully clone vista/win7.other wise just use some other 'drive imaging' program (theres free ones available 'drive image xml for example).

geek_drcspy, May 27, 11:20 am

The other option, possibly more work to begin with but a bit safer and might save you problems if the old Windows install has a few missing files from the disk problems you had.

put the old drive in it's USB enclosure in a safe place, install a nice fresh copy of Windows on the new drive, then plug in the old drive and copy all the files you want to keep.

geek_little_egypt, May 27, 11:20 am

Oh . this is a netbook with no CD drive, right! That makes things more interesting ;)

geek_little_egypt, May 27, 11:22 am