Web Access problems

I just bought a brand new laptop yesterday and set up my internet. Was surfing all last night but when I went to use it this morning all I get when i open Mozilla and I/explorer is a black screen with some random graphics. It isn't a driver issue cause my media players are all going fine, it is just limited to the internet and also my email (can see emails but but there is black again around the outside). Any ideas ! Setting issue ! Adon issue ! java issue !
I uninstalled livewire because I thought there might be a compatability issue but has made no diff.

chrs

geek_fullom, Jun 1, 10:54 am

Livewire! Do you mean Limewire! If it is Limewire, you may well be infected with Malware.

geek_hakatere1, Jun 1, 11:01 am

no live wire

geek_fullom, Jun 1, 11:05 am

no live wire, the email package.not into torrents just yet!

geek_fullom, Jun 1, 11:05 am

Did you perhaps manually install a video/display driver last night, via Windows Updates perhaps!

geek_chnman, Jun 1, 11:12 am

Some Automatic updates went through last night but no manual updates.

geek_fullom, Jun 1, 11:13 am

All I can think of then, is a video chip driver problem. Have you tried reinstalling from the mb cd! (If you have one.)

geek_hakatere1, Jun 1, 11:19 am

All I can think of then, is a video chip driver problem. Have you tried reinstalling from the mb cd! (If you have one.) Maybe the updates stuffed it up.

geek_hakatere1, Jun 1, 11:19 am

Strange that both browsers show the same problem - so I would say it can't be a problem with the actual browsers. However, in IE, look at the "Internet Options" and under Advanced, Then try "Reset" and see if anything changes.

geek_chnman, Jun 1, 11:21 am

Strange that both browsers show the same problem - so I would say it can't be a problem with the actual browsers. However, in IE, look at the "Internet Options" and under Advanced, Then try "Reset" and see if anything changes.

Also, in device manager, display adapter, what is showing! Is it an ATI/AMD, or nVidia, or Intel etc.

geek_chnman, Jun 1, 11:21 am

On my laptop, a new Lenovo thinkpad, in the root of C:\, I have a folder named SWTools, which contains all my hardware drivers. In some laptops, it's called SWSoft. I had a similar problem doing a reinstall and had to look in this folder for the video drivers and it fixed it. Oh, and I copied the swtools folder to another drive in case I lost it.

geek_hakatere1, Jun 1, 11:26 am

Are you using the standard bluetooth mouse BTW! I had trouble with the bluetooth driver for a while

geek_wellystretch, Jun 1, 11:35 am

Yes. Initially, I pressed F6 to enable bluetooth as instructed in manual. The manual was wrong, it is from memory F9 which is the wireless button, but Bluetooth was in a sub menu of that, so enabled it from there. Great wee mouse too.

geek_hakatere1, Jun 1, 11:39 am

Yes. Initially, I pressed F6 to enable bluetooth as instructed in manual. The manual was wrong, it is from memory F9 which is the wireless button, but Bluetooth was in a sub menu of that, so enabled it from there. Great wee mouse too. It has a very responsive touchpad, but I don't like them. Sometimes I use the red button etc though.

geek_hakatere1, Jun 1, 11:39 am

Yeah I quite like the red dot. No I had a problem with an error message popping up every 5 mins saying "unable to restart bluetooth stack device". Lenovo support directed me to uninstall the driver and download and install another from a 3rd party site. Good support. Bit gutted I didn't go for a model with a higher resolution screen though.

geek_wellystretch, Jun 1, 12:00 pm

Took a while, pays to have Flash to date.

geek_fullom, Jun 1, 1:11 pm

Remember to update for both IE and Firefox. Use each browser to go to website and update.

geek_chnman, Jun 1, 1:19 pm

And deft keep updates up to date!

geek_fullom, Jun 3, 8:18 pm