Need advice on SSD I am thinking of getting.

http://www.jtscomputers.co.nz/catalog/product_info.php!cPath=36&products_id=93

I like the fact that it is a Mini PCI not a sata.
Is there anything larger in Gbs but in the same MiniPci plug!

thanks.

geek_mr_lovebug, Jun 3, 1:02 pm

Waste of time 16g isnt much space. Read/Write speeds arent to ture read write specs. Better off using a usb3 pci card with a usb3 compliant storage device.

geek_m4mats, Jun 3, 1:19 pm

What would you use the SDD for!

geek_henry284, Jun 3, 1:35 pm

What I am doing is using a half height ITX board.

I am trying to only use the smallest system that i can make,i know that 16gig SSD is small,but I can use a 16gig flash for all the docs that I need.

The SSD should be fine for win7 to install/run from,with a swap file on a 2nd flash drive.In sort i will have the SSD & 2 flash drives.

I am trying my best to move away from having a hard drive.To show what can be done.

geek_mr_lovebug, Jun 3, 1:41 pm

I recently installed Win 7 to a 15GB partition.It was a struggle.

geek_cybertao, Jun 3, 1:45 pm

No way! Get a 64GB at least! Why fumble around with USB interfaces. Windows XP would run better with 16GB.

geek_henry284, Jun 3, 1:45 pm

I would love to run XP on the half height board,but there is NO xp drivers that I can find.

geek_mr_lovebug, Jun 3, 1:49 pm

ssds dont really like being full up.best practise seems to be about half full so your 16GB drive aint really goin to handle the installation too well.

geek_drcspy, Jun 3, 1:54 pm

Thanks for that post Perry.

I think I have just found the drivers for XP on my board.

geek_mr_lovebug, Jun 3, 2:00 pm

I have An xp install on an SSDit 18GB.the drive is 60GB . obviously the actual xp only would be a lot smaller. xp doesn't do trim on yr SSD so Google that theres ways round that

geek_drcspy, Jun 3, 2:08 pm

In the past i have ran Xp on 6.4gig hard drives,often I use a 10gig hard drive for my O/S then a 2nd drive for my docs.

Could I do the same thing with the 16g SSD!The SSD I am looking at plugs into the board via mini pci socket,not using sata plugs at all.

Fits the board like a wifi card.

Thats why i am looking at the 16 ssd that is in the 1st post.OR am I better to run a external laptop hard drive, from the 1300mah USB ports!

geek_mr_lovebug, Jun 3, 2:27 pm

and external would be FAR slower than any ssd (or any directly connected drive).yeh of course you can use the ssd for the main drive and another for data - so long as you can set that ssd to run as boot drive (bios dependant I guess)

geek_drcspy, Jun 3, 5:47 pm

Probably as the Toshiba Z830 solid state hard drive appears to use the same MiniPci socket (I've physically seen it and it looks the same). however, your problem is likely to be that buying bigger is cost prohibitive. In relation to later comments, is eSata an option!

geek_zaowl, Jun 4, 12:17 am

Probably as the Toshiba Z830 solid state hard drive appears to use the same MiniPci socket (I've physically seen it and it looks the same). however, your problem is likely to be that buying bigger is cost prohibitive. In relation to later comments, is eSata an option!
ETA - a reliable brand SSD is Awesome!

Probably you can get bigger than 16GB as the Toshiba Z830 solid state hard drive appears to use the same MiniPci socket (I've physically seen it and it looks the same and it is 128GB). however, your problem is likely to be that buying bigger is cost prohibitive. In relation to later comments, is eSata an option!
ETA - a reliable brand SSD is Awesome!