Need to buy a new printer.help!

pip31, Jun 10, 10:26am
Just need one for home use, the odd photo, etc, can anyone recommend one! I have a Canon MP600 but keeps coming up with an error message that i can't get rid of, probably be cheaper to buy a new printer than get it fixed!

r.g.nixon, Jun 10, 10:34am
What is the message. How old is the printer! Do you use it at least once per month so that the ink doesn't dry out!

pip31, Jun 10, 10:46am
Hi, yes it gets uses 2-3 times per week. The error message is 5200, and I've googled it but didn't come up with much.

pip31, Jun 10, 10:47am
The printer is about 3 years old.

gj, Jun 10, 11:00am
Google tells me
"That's a printhead temperature error. Unplug the printer for 30 seconds and plug it back in. If the error is still there, you're going to need to purchase a rather expensive printhead."
But if you are likely to replace it anyway - have a go at cleaning the print head. Dip a cotton bud in IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol, or Meths if you dont have IPA) and clean the print head where the inkjets are. Let it soak for a while then rub until the bud comes away nearly clean.

pip31, Jun 10, 11:07am
Ok, that sounds good, but I need to ask a really ignorant question. where are the inkjets!!

gj, Jun 10, 9:18pm
On a Canon, the ink nozzles are part of the printhead (the bit which whizzes back and forth over the paper). The ink cartridges are just tanks.
Found this on a Canon Forum - also some suggest using warm water rather than IPA.
<<There will be a lot of ink residue so wear gloves if you don't want your fingers purple for the next 24 hours.
---------
Open cover to make the printhead come out of hiding.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet to prevent the printhead from moving.
Remove the ink tanks.
Raise the lock lever securing the print head.
-----------
Remove the print head.
Do not touch the metal contacts on the back --- handle the unit by the edges.
The print nozzles on the bottom are very delicate (made of Silicon glass) --- place on a clean paper towel in the sink.
----------
rinse the print head with distilled water.
Pay attention to any ink residue on the shiny metal contacts on the back.
After spraying the ink nozzles, note the different colors that transfer to a clean paper towel.
Lightly shake and pat dry with another clean paper towel.
Re-assemble immediately to prevent the ink tanks and print head from internally drying out.
-----
Run the nozzle test and cleaning programs.>>
Good luck

drcspy, Jun 10, 11:56pm
hahah reminds me one time I had troubles with my canon printer and wanted to clean the print head.tried hot water with little success so I thought "ah alcohol" .all I had was a bottle of 12yr old chivas regal someone had given me which i wasn't too fussed on .so I poured about 1/3 of it thru the print head.it did help a bit.

gj, Jun 11, 4:50am
Which head did it help! yours or the printers.
Got an email today about the importance of an occupation after retirement. Quoting a certain 'Harold'
"I've often been asked, 'What do you do now that you're retired!'
Well.I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background and one of the things I enjoy most is converting beer, wine and whisky into urine.
It's rewarding, uplifting, satisfying and fulfilling. I do it every day and I really enjoy it."
Harold is an inspiration to us all ;-)

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)