Best way to partition the C drive? Page 1 / 2

dylandylandylan, Jul 13, 9:22am
Any link/tutorial would be helpful, have split my 1tb HDD into two 500gb partitions but can't reduce the size of C:\ because of OS, any suggestions!
I want to reduce the size of my C:\ to around 30 or so GB.

chnman, Jul 13, 9:31am
In my Win 7 I can only "shrink" the system partition (C drive) a certain amount due to unmovable data etc. I have used successfully a freeware program from EaseUS to change partition to size I wanted.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

dylandylandylan, Jul 13, 9:32am
Thank you, will give it a go.

chnman, Jul 13, 9:36am
EaseUS Partition Master Tutorials.

Tutorial from YouTube for version 8.0.1 - not too different than v 9.1
Tutorial for latest version 9.1 but doesn't provide sound

chnman, Jul 13, 9:38am
As you are only wanting to resize partition, that's all you need to do. Right-click on the C partition and resize should be an option. DON'T do anything like format!

king1, Jul 13, 9:40am
An axe

chnman, Jul 13, 9:44am

dylandylandylan, Jul 13, 9:47am
Worked a charm, thank you chnman

hakatere1, Jul 13, 9:47am
I second easeus. Simple and foolproof.

dylandylandylan, Jul 13, 9:55am
Yup added it to my software collection, very easy to interact with, very easy to follow the steps, I like it.

rawill, Jul 14, 12:46am
agreed! Missed you when I was up your way, sure is not good reception there.

black-heart, Jul 14, 1:37am
Why bother!

hakatere1, Jul 14, 1:50am
I noticed a large camper over the road and said to the lady I was looking for Robin from Southland. She said her name was Robyn, but she was from Rotorua. What a coincidence.

I checked over there every day and never saw you,.Unless you were up the top. Agree about reception, seems the only way to get any type of reception is through sat dish. I wouldn't live anywhere else though.

dylandylandylan, Jul 14, 2:41am
why bother with partitioning!
Because - brand new HDD and I don't want 1TB of C:\
lol .

vtecintegra, Jul 14, 2:42am
Why not though!

rawill, Jul 14, 3:36am
We were only there one night, and yes I think it was Robyn who was there too, she was in a 5th Wheeler. We were down the bottom, about 50 meters from the toilets.

dylandylandylan, Jul 14, 11:57am
I like splitting up my drives, good learning curve, and really don't want my archived media on the same drive as my operating system, call me pedantic, but meh.

cube_guy, Jul 14, 12:44pm
Do what the rest of the world is doing then, SSD for OS, mechanical for everything else.

dylandylandylan, Jul 15, 8:11am
yeah looking into it just can't afford it at the moment. I know where some of my next pay check is going though $114 for a 60gb .

hakatere1, Jul 15, 2:59pm
It will make a huge difference, especially on a laptop. I just got a 60b Corsair Force 3 for my i5 Thinkpad and the speed increase was phenomenal. Was quite slow booting before, but now boots to ready to use desktop in 15 sec and that includes a 3 second post Win7 8gb ram. Shuts down real quick too. Does malware scans and av scans about 3 times the speed of a normal hdd. A Malwarebytes scan takes about 30 secs, whereas took about 1min-30sec before. At the same time, I also won a ultra drive bay hdd adapter on tm and use the old hdd in there instead of dvd drive for extra storage. I do need to get an proper bezel for front though. I have a good fast desktop to make usb flash drive bootable if I need it. I really think cd/dvd drives will almost be a thing of the past soon. Ihaven't even got one in my car now. Just play albums from flash drive etc now.

drcspy, Jul 15, 4:44pm
hm.my toshiba 1st gen i5 (2.67Ghz and 4GB ram- win7 home premium) takes 26seconds to boot from a cold (full) boot.15seconds from hibernate I have a OCZ Vertex3 90GB in there.my desktop has the old Vertex2 60GB and it's pretty damn snappy to load programs etc now also (VERY snappy).

drcspy, Jul 15, 4:44pm
hm.my toshiba 1st gen i5 (2.67Ghz and 4GB ram- win7 home premium) takes 26seconds to boot from a cold (full) boot.15seconds from hibernate I have a OCZ Vertex3 90GB in there.my desktop (xp) has the old Vertex2 60GB and it's pretty damn snappy to load programs etc now also (VERY snappy).

drcspy, Jul 15, 4:47pm
malware and a/v scans are very fast also yes.and one time just for fun I placed shortcuts to about 15 programs into teh startup folder so they'd run at boot.(office, google earth, email.all sorts of crap) it only added about 10 secs to the boottime and was a lot fo fun to watch them all popping up on the desktop at boot lol

drcspy, Jul 15, 4:47pm
my page file I have set to 200MB.

ropes2, Jul 15, 4:59pm
But it is the same drive, whether u add a partition or not. What are you hoping to achieve from it!

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)