Sat dish or broardband stick & arial

summit69, Jul 8, 5:04am
Help please. I have just moved to an area with only dail-up. What are my options to obtain broardband. Thanks in advance.

king1, Jul 8, 6:18am

crosis_nz, Jul 8, 6:39am
Depends on how vital to you and how much traffic you need.

I tried the rural satellite service and tossed it after a few weeks as it was affected by weather way more than it should be. Instead went with Vodafone MiFi and a 3gb plan. Works much more reliably, connects all the devices in the house and even better i can take it with me if travelling.

mone, Jul 8, 6:45am
Anything satellite is extremely weather dependent.Mobile broadband is more reliable if you have coverage, but per megabyte more expensive.

hakatere1, Jul 8, 7:18am
Have been on sat internet for almost two years with Farmside and prior to that, a couple with an Oz company who's name I can't remember. Not once did I have rain fade, nor with sat sky. I think it's a myth created to cover for bad connections/installations. The only time we had a "atmospheric" notice on sky, say channel 4, when channel 5 was ok, means to me that there's no trouble with "rain fade". Phoned sky and told them to check it please. They said there would be an $80 charge if it wasn't their fault. I said they can have sky back if they charge me after at least 10 years. The guy came and replaced LNB and realigned dish andno trouble since.

venta, Jul 8, 8:47am
Do you have mobile phone coverage in your area. If you do then a T stick may be a viable option. Go on a plan rather than prepay. Cheaper in the long run. I had to do this for a year with Telecom before they upgraded the network in my area. Obviously not as good a wired broadband but a whole lot better than dial up.
I have heard that satellite is quite expensive.

andrewcg53, Jul 8, 9:35am
Don't touch farmside its a ripoff go with broardband stick & aerial

slarty45, Jul 8, 10:31am
larger dish than standard offsets rain fade
sat internet has lag so not suitable for online gaming

spyware, Jul 8, 7:23pm
Unless you can state exactly where you live nobody can advise on cellular coverage.

rcomms, Jul 9, 2:55am
search "rural broadband" on trademe listings

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)