Access external hard drive

Hi and hope someone will have some ideas.
I have an external hard drive, that I have used for over a year, with no problems, until now.
My hard drive died and had to have a spare installed.
I was left with the job of reinstalled Windows XP Home, which I have done more times than I can think.
Before I took the computer in I do a Full backup of all my important files, like documents.
Now I can access the drive and look into another folder.
But the main folder, My Documents, when I click on it I get a box that says:-
E:\My Documents is not accessible. Access is denied.
Now there is some important info on their, is any able to offer some suggestion as to how I can access it!
Thanks,
Ian

geek_ianalice1, Jun 26, 4:10 pm

geek_drcspy, Jun 26, 4:21 pm

Thank you I tried:-Turn off Simple File Sharing:

Click Start, and then click My Computer.
On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
Under Advanced Settings, click to clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box, and then click OK.
When I click on View tab there is no advanced setting.

Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message, if one appears.
Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.
Again no advanced tab or group.
I know it's to do with sharing, cause I was on a network, not now!

geek_ianalice1, Jun 26, 4:28 pm

do the 'security' changes stuff in SAFE mode

geek_drcspy, Jun 26, 4:32 pm

wanna explain your comment which as far as I can see is designed to be completely unhelpful to the op and indeed of no interest to them at all.

http://brajeshwar.com/2005/file-access-denied-on-windows-xp-and-how-to-take-ownership/

geek_drcspy, Jun 26, 6:01 pm

Ok, thank.
Worn out now, so will check out drcspys tomorrow and report back.

geek_ianalice1, Jun 26, 8:56 pm

Thanks, Drcspy.
It worked.
Thank you.

Ian

geek_ianalice1, Jun 27, 7:18 am

cool.

geek_drcspy, Jun 27, 7:46 am

ITT: jcmp21 gets schooled.

geek_black-heart, Jun 27, 8:10 am

A REAL tech would know how to do this without going through all this rigmarole. The google way will work however.

geek_jcmp21, Jun 27, 8:27 am

Innnnnttttteeeeerrrrrrnet

geek_jcmp21, Jun 27, 8:29 am

Sorry but I'm not a tech, just a home user and google didn't tell me to use Safe Mode.

geek_ianalice1, Jun 27, 10:31 am

@ianalice - just ignore - whatever he's on wears off eventually!

geek_gj, Jun 27, 10:43 am

so Mr supposedly "real" tech(!) how come your best effort wad to be completely UN HELPFUL!

geek_drcspy, Jun 27, 11:30 am

waste of space

geek_drcspy, Jun 27, 12:16 pm

I think Spy quite right to do the google way , because it helps others to see how easy to use google to sort theirproblems. too.
Just a home user,with experiance to share also
laughing at some1's coment doesnt help 1st poster .

geek_b110, Jun 27, 2:28 pm

oh "I" am well aware of how to do the process but I posted the link so that the original poster could follow the directions and I didn't have to type em

geek_drcspy, Jun 27, 3:09 pm

a *certain poster* who shall remain nameless (you can work out who) merely likes to disparage any of my efforts so they can feel superior and other parts of their anatomy

geek_drcspy, Jun 27, 3:11 pm

useless info

what 'rigmarole' are you referring to !
put your money where your mouth is (if it can fit in there past your foot)
you're being unhelpful and attacking me again

why don't you just .-

geek_drcspy, Jun 27, 4:55 pm

I saw a post in another thread stating that people are saying stuff about people but are too scared to name them. Do you recall that one!

geek_jcmp21, Jun 27, 10:03 pm

Oh you're being 'sneaky' again.YOU know that I wrote that post.You are also very well aware of whom it was directed at (YOU and your 'mates').

don't try to play games wiht me buddy.And STOP hijacking peoples threads with this STUPID RUBBISH game you persist with.It's NOT helpful.It IS a bad look.A very bad look.Your smarmy snide replies are not well camouflaged at all - it's very obvious it's a sniping attack.And almost every single thing you type on this board in relation to one of my posts is an attack of some sort.What a waste of space you are.What a way to ruin this board.Go away somewhere preferably for good eh.

geek_drcspy, Jun 28, 3:50 am

doc thought you'd be too smart to fall for trolls eh

geek_lucus2011, Jun 28, 5:50 pm

Let's stop with the dramatics. If you won't answer, just don't

geek_jcmp21, Jun 28, 6:00 pm

gettin smarter by the day and not interested in communicating with trolls.OH LOOK I see it's back.rofl

geek_drcspy, Jun 28, 6:12 pm

and still hijacking this and others threads

what a sad sack of a person

geek_drcspy, Jun 28, 6:13 pm

So that's a no then obviously

geek_jcmp21, Jun 28, 6:14 pm

Fight ya bitches.God you're both pathetic.

geek_hammerman1, Jun 28, 9:42 pm

I don't believe I am.How would YOU react to someone who kept sniping at you and picking at you and making snide remarks designed to annoy all the time !Oh I suppose you'd ignore them !Easy to say.

geek_drcspy, Jun 29, 3:53 am

geek_drcspy, Jun 29, 4:47 am

It is easy to ignore . your online presence is being cut down by a troll! , just use the script to block them out . easy said easy done.

geek_dylandylandylan, Jun 29, 9:55 am