Slightly OT, blown speaker

bronzeblood, Jun 17, 10:15am
Just blew a Wharfedale Daimond 10.6 speakers tweeter. Bad electrical burning smell from tweeter. Brought these from Harvey Norman about 10 months ago . Been powering them off a Pioneer LX50 amp for most of that time , should be able to handle 200w of power and the amp only puts out 150w max power but still blew a tweeter , would it still be under warranty!
They have handled loud volume for ages but one decided to blow tonight!
So hopefully warranty covers this!

linzeed, Jun 17, 10:58am
Consumer guarantees act covers this "i think" technically if they are being powered correctly and not above their correct rating then you should expect them to last longer than 10 months. That's how the CGA works - so yes you should be covered under warranty.

bronzeblood, Jun 17, 11:07am
Yeah. A lot of what IV been reading mentions clipping of the audio. However I am aware of this and never have the volume that loud. Ill take it back tomorrow and see what happens.

mm12345, Jun 17, 11:24pm
Clipping from driving the amp too hard shouldn't automatically cause the tweeter to blow (ie from "DC Burn" effect from solid state amps) as the tweeter has a crossover protecting it from low frequency signals and DC current.
So unless you were thrashing it, I suspect that there may be another fault, a shorted capacitor in the crossover, or possibly a blown polyfuse (if it has one) on the tweeter circuit.A blown polyfuse will smell.
Harvey Norman have a bit of reputation for being difficult about CGA claims.I think it should almost certainly be covered, but you're possibly going to have to argue your case strongly.

cjdnzl, Jun 18, 12:47am
The reason for this is subtle, but real.Solid-state amplifiers differ from valve amps in their overload chacteristics.Valves show a 'soft' overload condition where the distortion when overdriven has a gradual onset, whereas solid-state amps just produce distortion suddenly if overdriven.What has this to do with blown tweeters!
Distortion products contain large amounts of harmonics - high-frequency components of the distorted signal - and these high-frequency distortion products can contain far more power than the tweeters can handle, and far more than the normal amount of high frequencies contained in an undistortedsignal.
So, the short answer for you is that your amp was driven into distortion, and that is what blew your tweeters - even though your speakers are rated at 200 watts RMS, distortion from a 150-watt, or even a 100-watt amplifier can easily blow a tweeter.
ETA to say you will be lucky to be covered by guarantees.The fact that the tweeters smell of burning is the giveaway that they were overloaded.That will be your problem.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)