Registry needs a clean up

arden22, Jul 17, 2:00am
With my genealogy I've in the past been able to swap between various software family history programmes (Legacy/Family Tree Maker etc) using GEDCOM. Suddenly I can no longer do this and in googling for help I read "the registry needs cleaning". Will ccleaner do this and is it completely free!

drcspy, Jul 17, 3:04am
yes and yes but whether it'll do what you want I cant answer

king1, Jul 17, 3:07am
Yes, and Yes if you get the free version, just watch for any extras it might try to install.

Whether this will help your problem is a big question mark.Some folks swear by registry cleaners, I personally find they do more harm than good.Read more here to get the background info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

In your case I'm doubtful, it sounds like either the functionality you require is missing from the software, or there is a bug or corruption in the package(s) your using.

If you do the cleaner, make sure you do the backup.

arden22, Jul 17, 4:48am
Thank you both for that. I'll need to give this some serious thought before I take any action.

chnman, Jul 17, 7:24am
Show where you read "the registry needs cleaning".maybe it was just one of those ads which are very common. I myself don't use registry cleaners, if I had a problem with something, I would rather find out what registry data to delete/edit, rather than a program that tells me I have hundreds of problems, and "click here to fix now".

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)