Best wireless modem?

We have a Thomson wireless modem (like the whitish coloured ones on here for sale cheap), moved it yesterday into the hallway, now one of the laptops keeps disconnecting. At best it has 75% strength. Modem would only be 5 metres away from this laptop at the most. (through the internal wall).
So what is regarded as the best quality/most reliable wireless modem brand wise!
Also have a desktop at other end of the house which now is getting poor signal. Modem is on a cupboard in the hallway, nothing electrical surrounding it.

Cheers

geek_ambo11, Jul 30, 7:29 pm

Why don't you move it back how is was and see if it returns to normal.That would indicate that it might not be a fault but environmental

geek_king1, Jul 30, 7:53 pm

It was in the way where it was.the old modem we had before was in the same spot this one is in now and was okay.wondering if these Thomson modems are "cheapies" since Telecom had them.thinking maybe a good quality one would have a stronger signal!

geek_ambo11, Jul 30, 8:18 pm

The 'freebie' telecom routers are generally pretty crappy, and don't generally utilise the latest wireless standard such as fast N networking. Start by having and look here, you can narrow down your choices, look at review, and find the best prices: http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php!k=386

geek_jenny253, Jul 30, 8:25 pm

All the ones I've seen from Telecom in the last year or so have been Type N and there are worse ones out there than Thomson.

geek_king1, Jul 30, 8:36 pm

You think wrong, all consumer grade devices typically have about the same low power.

geek_spyware, Jul 31, 7:04 am

Wouldn't be more sensible to use a business grade wireless device to provide wireless coverage. Modem can be used for the adsl bit.

geek_spyware, Jul 31, 7:05 am

i was having trouble connecting ---------but telecom said it might be objects interferring with the frequentcy like phones or microwave .

geek_vin8, Jul 31, 8:58 am

I have had a Thomson for three years.It's signal strength varies - sometimes strong, sometimes weak.This puzzles me.I think it is time to ask again about new models, with a better signal.There weren't, about a year ago.
Incidenally, the material in interior walls often has metal flecks in it - don't ask me why - and this impedes the signal.But the fluctuations do puzzle.

geek_footplate1, Jul 31, 9:37 am

Hi there! I understand this is soamhwet off-topic however I had to ask. Does building a well-established blog like yours take a lot of work? I'm completely new to writing a blog however I do write in my diary everyday. I'd like to start a blog so I will be able to share my personal experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any recommendations or tips for new aspiring blog owners. Appreciate it!

geek_guest, Aug 3, 9:32 pm

The Zune concentrates on being a Portable Media Player. Not a web brewsor. Not a game machine. Maybe in the future it'll do even better in those areas, but for now it's a fantastic way to organize and listen to your music and videos, and is without peer in that regard. The iPod's strengths are its web browsing and apps. If those sound more compelling, perhaps it is your best choice.

geek_guest, Aug 5, 11:11 am

Useful if you are planning a large wddeing reception. Very useful if you can afford to hire a super talented DJ/MC and/or a band (as Chapter 7 will scare you away from any other option).However, for the intimate wddeing or destination wddeing , like the one I am planning, the book is not as helpful. With a budget of < $10K, only about 40 guests attending, 1 bridesmaid and 1 best man, and guests who would leave a reception rather than run the risk of being singled out to play a game or dance, I did not find a lot of useful tips in the book. On a positive note, there was one example in the book that included a wddeing without dancing where they filled the time with games, instead (which wouldn't work for guests that are scared off by the threat of public humiliation). Plus, there were a couple of nice sentimental ideas such as the Unity Candle and the Anniversary Time Capsule, where the guests filled out advice cards to be placed into a metal container and opened on the couple's 25 wddeing anniversary. But those ideas comprised about 3 pages of the book and many of the other suggestions needed an MC to execute.I still think you can have the best wddeing reception ever! without having a large guest-list, large budget, dancing, games and an MC. Perhaps there are restaurants that specialize in this kind of thing? Perhaps providing icebreakers at the table? Perhaps, if the wddeing is small, a large dining table that everyone sits at so everyone feels included? However, you won't find ideas for that kind of wddeing in this book.My advice to you if you are not planning to have a DJ/MC or you have a quiet family is to either avoid the book altogether, or go to a bookstore and flip through it for the occasional sentimental idea to incorporate into your ceremony.

geek_guest, Aug 7, 1:31 pm