ACER your thoughts

What do you think of them always seem to be low in hard drive except the latest E machines relyability is a plus i have had one for six or so years probably 8 to 10 years old only been in for service twice needs replacing now out of date programes ect

geek_coolcort, Jul 20, 11:05 pm

Acer make good vacuum cleaners-they suck!

geek_deodar1, Jul 20, 11:10 pm

Acer are the lowest quality laptops available.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jul 20, 11:27 pm

I'd rather get a tank to drive over my testicles, than buy Acer.

geek_gibler, Jul 20, 11:31 pm

Ouch. but can't find myself disagreeing!

geek_mantagsi, Jul 20, 11:44 pm

Agree with all of the above. except maybe the bit about the tank

geek_suicidemonkey, Jul 21, 12:04 am

I've been selling them for 2-3 years and had no returns. I don't do e-machines, or atoms, been sticking to i5's and greater. Slick machines,the SSD ultrabooks are just as good as any other brand.

geek_black-heart, Jul 21, 8:49 am

Wish I had never bought mine, I hummed and harred over whether to get the Acer or a more expensive well known brand.Wish i had gone for the more expensive brand.

geek_learner2, Jul 21, 9:44 am

I have had 3 Acers and 1 Compaq Presario CQ61, I never had an issue except with any, except for the Bios issue in the little Aspire One netbook that we used overseas for 3 months. That issue that was easily fixed by loading a new Bios supplied by Acer.

My local repair agent likes the after sales service and availabilty of parts from Acer.

geek_rawill, Jul 21, 5:05 pm

I have an Acer tablet for a year and it is still very good.

geek_cameragod, Jul 21, 8:07 pm

The cheap models from any brand are the same story - corners get cut in the interests of price.

geek_vtecintegra, Jul 21, 8:10 pm

never buy Acer! cheap and nasty. shit service department. would never have anything of Acer again! take our word for it.

geek_pecka, Jul 21, 9:02 pm

Stripped my acer out & did a decent rebuild , the case was about the only good in the acer name here lol

geek_strobo, Jul 22, 6:09 am

Reliability is crap.
Having been a tech for a long time, I can tell you they are one of the most common to have hardware failures, especially the shitty ECS motherboards in them. Your one and only lasting long is not the way to establish reliability.

Reliability is done by how many returns out of a 1000 or more.
Not 1.

geek_lythande1, Jul 22, 6:27 am

True

geek_rawill, Jul 22, 9:56 am

Asus for the win.

geek_austingtir, Jul 22, 10:00 am

Seems more against than for, earlier ones and some late have small hard drives for some reason some of the components are common to several makes i guess most have problems at some stage how about suggestions about good fast relyable computors i dont have the knowhow to build my own setup

geek_coolcort, Jul 23, 1:33 pm

Google acer reliability and you'll find lots of surveys on customers reliability.Acer often came near the bottom.Asus mostly top of the list

geek_doctor_evil99, Jul 23, 1:36 pm

hard drives are ridiculously easy to upgrade.and you can't build your own laptop.desktop sure

geek_drcspy, Jul 23, 1:41 pm

Have a powerful Acer quad core laptop 8Gb Ram. (well they were reasonable powerful two years ago!).Now on third hard drive. And Harvey Normal weren't going to replace the last one free of charge until they realised I understood the CGA !

geek_wardz4, Jul 23, 2:20 pm

haha -just reading my own comment -that wasn't an intentional spelling mistake with the store name !Perhaps I should have said Hardly Normal.

geek_wardz4, Jul 23, 2:23 pm

I hate their laptops but their desktops are OK, at least they don't use proprietary hardware, so you can actually replace the power supply and/or other bits to something better without too much hassle. unlike with HP/Compaqs

geek_pcmaster, Jul 23, 2:36 pm

well acer dont' make harddrives .theres something odd there if it's killing them.

geek_drcspy, Jul 23, 2:43 pm

do you know the original brand of drive in the machine, the 2nd drive brand and the last !

geek_drcspy, Jul 23, 2:43 pm

ACER are crap.i would neva eva eva eva eva get another acer.

geek_purplegoanna, Jul 23, 3:46 pm

Problems with harvey norman. They like showing up on target and fair go too.

geek_black-heart, Jul 23, 5:11 pm

Plus 1

geek_gammelvind, Jul 23, 5:12 pm

no sorry, I just took the whole thing in and it went to Acer to get repaired

geek_wardz4, Jul 23, 8:16 pm

Desktop only need some speedmemory and decent size hard drive whats the best setup

geek_coolcort, Jul 23, 9:00 pm

Oh, I have an Acer and got got my son one.

geek_suka, Jul 23, 9:53 pm

I've sold loads of Acers (in the hundreds over the last couple of years) and had no problems at all with the business level ones (which come with 2,3 or 4 year onsite warranties anyway), had one problem with a home level one, the hard drive died and was replaced easily under warranty.
Low end notebooks are all terrible!

geek_squirrel99, Jul 26, 8:51 pm

I will never buy acer again. I remember I bought an acer laptop and all it was was a problem after problem. First the motherboard burnt out from 4 capacitors popping. I rang them up and I told them about the issues 4 times. They told me to take it to an "authorized dealer" yet I found out the issue bang on. They tried to con me out of a warranty replacement until I mentioned the fair trading act. Strike 2. Harddrive died. told them about it 5 times. And they yes again tried to doupe me out of a warranty. I said its the harddrive but the morons sent me replacement ram insteead. HA! got a free 4gb upgrade and a replacement. but the morons forgot to supply me any recovery OS media so I was like screw this install by using a backup iso. they tried to void my warranty but I told em HAHAHA you guys forgot to put an OS on my laptops harddrive so technically thats their fault not mine. Strike 3 the motherboard (again), GPU and screen died so I got pissed off with it n smashed it with a 40 pound sledge hammer and napalmed it. I got sick of the persistent hardware failures with it so hello napalm fireball! lesson learned. Never Buy Acer

geek_j-solo-project, Jul 28, 6:20 am

I've had far more dead unfixable consumer level HP's than Acers come through my tech business but that's just my experience

geek_shaneo2, Jul 28, 8:46 am

My ACER Travelmate laptop lasted over seven years before it had a serious problem.Now retired.

geek_footplate1, Jul 28, 8:58 am

Any issues there.

geek_king1, Jul 28, 10:13 am