Wireless printer recommendation

kcc55a, Jul 22, 9:51pm
Hi, I want to buy awireless laser printercan anybody recommend something in the up to $300 price bracket and a seller.not really interested in copying or scanning features. I have searched previous threads but nothing helps. Thanks

ramsu, Jul 22, 10:13pm
Another option instead of going wireless, if you have a wireless router with a USB port (that allows printing), you could get a standard laser printer and hook it up via USB to your wireless router, giving wireless access to other devices.

ammoola, Jul 22, 11:12pm
I've been looking for a while for the same features' printer and narrowed down the list to Brother HL-2270DW as it has almost everything I want, Mono Laser with 27ppm, wireless and duplex printing features. I'm waiting for any deal to have it
Current price from different retailers if you are interested:
http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php!p=647582

kcc55a, Jul 23, 5:41am
Thanks. yes the HL 2270Dw looked very suitable as does the HL 2170W at about another $75 There are a couple of others from Xerox/Fuji and Konica that are simiarly priced. be nice to know if anybody else is using them and what they think

ree05, Oct 22, 7:17am
Can someone please explain how to do this! I have a brother mfc-7340 printer and wonder if its possible to do this setup with a usb so that I can print from my new laptop. I have a wireless router.

shaneo2, Oct 22, 7:28am
Does your router have a usb port on it! If not you can't unless you share from another computer on the network or get another router witha usb port on it.

ree05, Oct 22, 7:47am
thanks shane, ive just looked at my router and it doesn't have a usb port! so its a no go, looks like I'll have to get a new router, annoying as this one only a year old if that.

ree05, Oct 22, 8:00am
new router or new printer! printer only newish too, arrgghhhh!

shaneo2, Oct 22, 8:33pm
You can share the printer from another computer thats connected to the network (router). E.g- Install printer on a desktop computer that's already connected to the router by network cable or wireless.On the desktop ,share the printer.Then on the laptop go through the "add a printer wizard". Downside of thisis the desktop has to be on for you to print to it from the laptop.

d.snell, Oct 22, 11:42pm
We have a HL-2170W (it's not duplex though) and a HL-2250DN (not the wireless model) but the technology for both is the same.
Find them extremely reliable and consumables are very good value, especially as we refill our own.
Toners are Retail $125 but you can buy clones on TM for about $30 or, as we do, refill our own for about $10.
To refill your own, you would need a conversion kit to change the starter cartridge supplied with the printer to a hi-capacity one and these kits cost about $20, but it's a one off cost.
Drums Retail for $139, but again, clones are about $50 or rebuild your own for about $30.
All in all a good quality printer and cheap to run

meathead_timaru, Oct 23, 1:15am
If you want colour, HP CP1525NW.
http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php!p=743712

mrfxit, Oct 23, 3:26am
Simple solution
1st .
Get the cheapest usb printer that WILL do the printing you want it to, with the highest page count per toner per price

Buy a usb (& or wireless) print server off of TM
They are about the same size as your router

Theres some pretty cheap new & s/h units here if you look often enough

mrfxit, Oct 23, 3:26am
Simple solution
1st .
Get the cheapest usb printer that WILL do the printing you want it to, with the highest page count per toner per price

Buy a usb (& or wireless) print server off of TM
They are about the same size as your router

Theres some pretty cheap new & s/h units here if you look often enough
That way you can have cheap but reliable printers AND usb/wireless at the same time

ree05, Oct 23, 10:08am
Have looked into new printer and have decided on the Canon Pixma MG3160. PB Tech have it for $86 incl. gst. Seems the way to go for us. We can keep our other newish printer too as it faxes which we sometimes need to do. Only need black printing, never need colour, this one has colour but is separate tank so no matter.

gj, Oct 23, 10:40am
Does your model have a B/W only setting! most Canons can be preset to print grayscale only which still uses some colour every time you turn it on, even though the page may only have black print on it. YOu can also set to print draft mode to save ink.

gj, Oct 23, 10:40am
Does this model have a B/W only setting! most Canons can be preset to print grayscale only which still uses some colour every time you turn it on, even though the page may only have black print on it. YOu can also set to print draft mode to save ink.

mrfxit, Oct 23, 8:50pm
EEEEWWwww.
So. you went for an MFC inkjet against a mono laser for black printing .
LOL
yea,
Clever . ;-(

I just brought a brand new Canon mono Laser for $69 with a 1500 page count toner
Also just brought a Wireless print server from Trademe for $12 including P&P

I ONLY need it for black printing on a network ;-)

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)