Wireless printer disabling wifi

savanna71, Aug 8, 7:10am
Hi, can anyone provide any insight into why the printer is disabling our WIFI.
Purchased the Canon Wireless printer but the wireless connectivity proved to unreliable in that everytime the printer was turned off we needed to reinstall the software until it could be utilised again so we connected it via USB directly to our computer and now everytime the printer is turned on we lose all our wireless intenet connection and we need to restart the PC and turn off the printer to get our connection back.According to Google it may have something to do with the PC & the printer having the same IP address, if this is the case is anyone aware how we can fix it.

spyware, Aug 8, 7:48am
Oddly enough devices can't have the same IP address. The reason you had to keep reinstalling the driver was because everytime the printer was turned on it got a different IP address from the DHCP server in the router/wireless access point. The driver obviously only points to the IP address the printer had when you installed it.

The solution is obviously to give the printer a STATIC IP ADDRESS outside the DHCP range (the range of addresses assigned to the computer(s)).

savanna71, Aug 8, 8:12am
Hi, thanks for your help, how do i go about setting a static IP address outside the DHCP range

spyware, Aug 8, 8:31am
I haven't read the manual and probably won't but if you do I'm sure there is relevant page that tells you how to set an IP address. As for the address to use you need to examine the DHCP range in the router config and choose an address outside that range. Or maybe alter the range to exclude some addresses. E.g., if the DHCP pool range is 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.100 then you could choose say 192.168.1.120 to use on your printer.

You can determine the subnet your network is on and the routers IP address from the

ipconfig /all

command run from the shell prompt.

spyware, Aug 8, 8:31am
I haven't read the manual and probably won't but if you do I'm sure there is relevant page that tells you how to set an IP address. As for the address to use you need to examine the DHCP range in the router config and choose an address outside that range. Or maybe alter the range to exclude some addresses. E.g., if the DHCP pool range is 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.100 then you could choose say 192.168.1.120 to use on your printer.

You can determine the subnet your network is on and the routers IP address from the

ipconfig /all

command run from the shell prompt. Routers (I'm assuming your router is providing the wireless service) address is the default gateway address obtained from ipconfig command. You can then use that address in webbrowser to examine router config.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)