Help with "Tablet" purchase please Page 1 / 2

lionlover1, Sep 2, 5:23am
Hi my son is saving for a 7" Tablet,what do I need to know as am confused looking at auctions some say a vodaphone doggle needed so do you have to buy more thimgs just to use it! i only want a begining one as he is only young thanks

mattynelson, Sep 2, 6:34am
nexus 7. Kindle fire. Dont get any of the crappy no name brands. Asus, acer,are alright. Go to HN, NL or DSE and see what they stock and see if you can get it cheaper on TM. Dont get a CRUZ!

bushyy4, Sep 2, 6:37am
Get the google nexus 7 - totally worth it. all you need is a wi-fi connection and you're good to go

mikep, Sep 2, 7:34am
Can you people please read the question first before "advising" on your own personal preferences. The Nexus 7 is over $400 and this is a kid saving for it - how long would it take!

There are a number of "beginner" tablets selling on TradeMe for under $150 which would be fine to start with.

Also the answer to the OP's question is: No, you don't need the Vodafone dongle unless you want a 3G connection. You do need however wifi, so you will need a wifi-capable broadband modem - most ISPs give them away these days. I would recommend getting a microSD card for extra memory - depending on capacity, that would be from $10 - $50.

And yes, there is a risk that an unbranded tablet will be crappy, but most top sellers offer guarantees.

morticia, Sep 2, 7:49am
Excellent.

vtecintegra, Sep 2, 10:09am
Its not so much a risk as a 100% certainty.

At the very cheap end of the market you'd be better off with a second hand brand name netbook than any of the cheap Android tablets

mikep, Sep 2, 11:05am
Perhaps you don't speak from experience. I have two of the "cheap" tablets, and both are still functioning perfectly.
The Android 1.6 one I experimented with, rooting it and installing a custom ROM, and generally learning about Android and the hardware. The Android v4.0 one is slow, crashes sometimes, and doesn't run some apps, but for what I paid is excellent for playing simple games, watching movies, reading books and whatever a kid who can't afford a top-line tablet would want.
I've been buying computers for a long time, and I have learnt that you usually have to buy one just to be able to know what to buy next.
In that respect, I'm glad I never bought Apple since my ][+, which was a greater learning experience than an iPad would be.

morticia, Sep 2, 11:17am
There seems to be some sort of tablet snobbery going on, it involves dismissing cheap tablets as rubbish despite what those who own and regularly use them say.

Not everyone can afford a fancy brand job, not everyone needs one, and the reality is that the expensive brands won't last any longer if dropped, sat on or otherwise damaged. It's a bit hard to justify ditching a $500 tablet to get an upgrade, but ditching $75 is a whole different thing.

Those who are well served by a cheap tablet, for whatever reason, should buy one if that's what they want. It beats the hell out of not being able to have what the rich folks do just because it's a cheaper option and someone says it's crap.

512RAM, 1GHz, Android 4 tablets work just fine for watching videos, playing games, surfing, emailing, listening to music. Take care of it, don;t let the battery sit around flat and there's no reason why it shouldn't last a while. Why go without something if a cheap one IS in your budget! Oh yeah, someone with enough money to waste on an expensive brand name toy told you not to.

Oh yeah, we have 3 of them in the house. They all work great.

There seems to be some sort of tablet snobbery going on, it involves dismissing cheap tablets as rubbish despite what those who own and regularly use them say.

Not everyone can afford a fancy brand job, not everyone needs one, and the reality is that the expensive brands won't last any longer if dropped, sat on or otherwise damaged. It's a bit hard to justify ditching a $500 tablet to get an upgrade, but ditching $75 is a whole different thing.

Those who are well served by a cheap tablet, for whatever reason, should buy one if that's what they want. It beats the hell out of not being able to have what the rich folks do just because it's a cheaper option and someone says it's crap.

512RAM, 1GHz, Android 4 tablets work just fine for watching videos, playing games, surfing, emailing, listening to music. Take care of it, don't let the battery sit around flat and there's no reason why it shouldn't last a while. Why go without something if a cheap one IS in your budget! Oh yeah, someone with enough money to waste on an expensive brand name toy told you not to.

Oh yeah, we have 3 of them in the house. They all work great.

512RAM, 1GHz, Android 4 tablets work just fine for watching videos, playing games, surfing, emailing, listening to music. Take care of it like you should any device, don't let it overheat or sit around with a flat battery and there's no reason why it shouldn't last quite a while. Why go without something if a cheap one IS in your budget! Oh yeah, someone with enough money to waste on an expensive brand name toy told you not to.

We have 3 of them in the house. They all work great.

lugee, Sep 2, 11:26am
Spending more on a name brand tablet isn't a waste. I have a few mates with cheap Chinese tablets. The battery is awful, they look and feel awful, their performance is awful, they crash all the time, they run antiquated android versions and can't run a lot of useful apps, or run it so slowly that sustained machine gun fire would be more enjoyable than using it for 5 minutes.

My advice is skip the Chinese tablets, save a bit longer and get something worth getting. That's what I did, I'm by no means rich but there isn't any point in getting an inferior device. Hence I have a Nexus 7 as my first tablet.

mikep, Sep 2, 1:04pm
This discussion could go on forever, as there are different sides and experiences involved.

As a result of my experience and research, rather than having an old iPad 1 right now, locked into the iTunes market, my next tablet will be the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. My experience with previous purchases allowed me to understand specs, and override the fanboy hysteria.

Lionlover1, I hope you made enough sense out of this to make a decision.

thirteen131, Sep 2, 1:31pm
Here's a link to a blog that compares the Nexus 7 with a cheap chinese 7" tablet. Hope it helps.

http://www.coolstuffnz.com/2012/08/cheap-chinese-7-tablet-vs-google-nexus-7.html

suicidemonkey, Sep 2, 8:15pm
Cheap tablets are rubbish, end of story.

cameragod, Sep 2, 8:32pm
Not quite.
We bought a Novo Elf 2 from Aliexpress. $120 for the tablet. $12 for the shipping and $17 for a new charger from DS as the one that came with it was crap.
My daughter has had it for 4 months and it is very good. It runs ICS fast. faster than my year old Acer 500.
There were cheaper tablets online but all the reviews I read said the Elf 2 was the best bang for the buck at the time and it was.
Also there were cheaper Elf 2s on Aliexpress but I went with a supplier that I could confirm existed :)

kcc55a, Sep 2, 8:49pm
Post #12 is rubbish.end of story! My chinese tablet ($61 US) is working well. Good reviews from other buyers.

mikep, Sep 3, 2:37am
Since the Coolstuffnz link doesn't work (in fact it looks like coolstuffnz has died a horrible death for making dodgy comparisons) here's a good comparison between Nexus 7 and "cheap" Chinese tablets: http://www.gizchina.com/2012/08/02/7-top-7-inch-chinese-tablets-look-at-instead-of-nexus-7/- I think it defeats many of the arguments put up so far.

morticia, Sep 3, 2:45am
The Coolstuff comparison was favourable, if a little too over-generalising where the physical architecture was concerned. The Coolstuff link works fine, just like my cheap chinese tablet lol

morticia, Sep 3, 2:45am
The Coolstuff comparison was favourable, if a little too over-generalising where the physical architecture was concerned and they used an old one running 2.3. The Coolstuff link works fine, just like my cheap chinese tablet lol

vwriddell, Sep 3, 3:46am
Have a look at the Matrix One which runs ICS for $120 USD + shipping, got quite a few good reviews and comes with a 1 year warranty. http://store.mtxtablet.com/matrix-one.html

vtecintegra, Sep 3, 5:56am
You guys must have extremely low standards to put up with the terrible performance and screens universal to the no-names

brapbrappy, Sep 3, 8:47am
Its nothing to do with low standards, its practicality. If its a difference of several hundred dollars I can understand.Lets face it its justa communication tool - doesnt need to be super hi res. Its like buying a basic Toyota as to buying a Mercedes if you only want to get from A to B. People buy the level of quality they are happy with.

ross1970, Sep 3, 9:29am
People mainly buy the level of quality they can afford. If you can't afford much then you're happy with lower quality.

morticia, Sep 3, 9:36am
And people who don't have a lot of money would be very foolish to waste it on high end, large ticket items when the lower priced one will do the job just fine. It's not about being happier with lower quality, it's about being happy you can actually have something you want.

fishb8, Sep 3, 8:17pm
Apple IPads are made in China - not sure of Nexus, but most likely!

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)