How often do you clean the inside of your PC?

Gosh, it was filthy inside my PC. I opened it up, gave the cooling fan and the CPU fan a good clean, and vaccum the motherboard. The PSU is filthy, have to open it up to clean the fans and vac around the components.

Now it is good and gold and the will be doing it in another 6 months to a year.

geek_ang_ck, Sep 12, 11:14 am

you vaccumed your motherboard, risky . hope you used a antistatic strap

geek_trade_menow, Sep 12, 11:17 am

anti-static strap isn't going to stop static from the vacuum cleaner.

I've had at least 2 clients trash there mother boards after doing this.

geek_king1, Sep 12, 11:20 am

yea, all that done. I have been doing it regularly. I cannot stand the dust. I should have got a better casing where I can put some sort of air filter in it (not sure if such a casing exist)

My PSU is coming to its 10th year. my MB is coming to its 6th year.

geek_ang_ck, Sep 12, 11:23 am

Best way is to use a can of compressed air and blow it outside. Also lock fans from spinning.

geek_ceebee2, Sep 12, 11:24 am

I use my dyson vac with long flat tube extension and a paintbrush

geek_ang_ck, Sep 12, 11:26 am

Can of compressed air is not the best way to clean it. It still contains moisture. as said above make sure you earth yourself out, weather is wearing an earth strap or simply touching the frame of the PC (unplugged of corse) then use a vacuume cleaner but not a metal hose one as this is what will pass any static electricity. use a plastice pipe.

and to answer your Q OP not enough I get PCs all the time with blown PSU or CPUs due to over heating,

geek_hopie, Sep 12, 12:47 pm

hopie, thanks for sharing. i am anal about my PSU. I think paid alot of good PSU, mine is the Antec brand and has last a long itme.

geek_ang_ck, Sep 12, 1:02 pm

I always use the short plastic end of vac cleaner and never buggered one. Have done it hundreds of times. This argument comes up all the time. An acquaintance gave me his machine to do a job and it was full of mouse droppings. Mouse must have got in through open add on card slots that weren't covered. He got on my desk and ate my lunch crumbs before I nailed him with a trap. Never had a mouse in this house before, so I assume it came from that pc. It was also covered in fly shit, lovely.

geek_hakatere1, Sep 12, 1:22 pm

There is no static from vacuum cleaners. How many times you had a shock from one! These days the things are plastic anyway.geez.

More like trashed it by banging components around.

geek_lythande1, Sep 12, 1:25 pm

NO don't unplug the PC, just turn the power off. Leaving the power cord in gives the best earth connection you can get.

geek_gj, Sep 12, 2:21 pm

geek_king1, Sep 12, 2:31 pm

Static is not from vacuum but from the interaction of dust particles and sourcing an earth .eg
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=Nt5yXfOE8eE

geek_zeroh, Sep 12, 8:19 pm

So when was the last time you saw a PC explode when a vacuum cleaner was used! These vids apply to High speed dust extractors and a high voltage spark in a controlled atmosphere. Same applies to coal dust and milk powder - both can produce highly explosive conditions with suspended particles and the right air mixture.

geek_gj, Sep 12, 8:33 pm

Many case's now have built in removable dust filters, or you can buy after market filters that screw to the fans.

geek_incognetoe, Sep 12, 8:44 pm

thanks for that information. maybe it is time to upsize my casing.

geek_ang_ck, Sep 12, 8:47 pm

I vacuum inside my PC every month or so for the last ten years or so.especially around the PSU.

geek_doctor_evil99, Sep 12, 10:29 pm

Air compressor ftw!

geek_deviant.s, Sep 12, 10:44 pm

geek_boots0016, Sep 13, 11:08 am

I would have said never until Sunday when I had to dismantle to see if I could get the backspace key to work again. All good now which makes typing assignments so much easier!

geek_louisesamosa, Sep 13, 11:15 am

That would scare the S**T out of me

geek_dylandylandylan, Sep 13, 11:19 am

once a year take it outside use aircompressor
vac the MB is kinda risky

geek_kevymtnz, Sep 13, 11:21 am

As part of our customer service, we always clean the machine if we have it open.

I agree with gj, leave the PC plugged in - good earth wire.
At the least, you should touch the frame of the PC ?? better you get a carpet zap than the machine.
I Personally I leave mine plugged in, use a static strap and anti-static matts.

I don??t use air cans ?? would cost me a fortune to clean customers machines.

Lots of tech people use air compressors, I find them too hard on the machine (Fans) and you need to be aware of the water they use.
I purchased a portable device used for blowing up air mattresses.$30-$40 (Thanks Bunnings)
The air is firm enough to remove dust but not to firm that it will harm you machine. Any thing tricky gets a gentile clean with a paint brush first. I am also able to take it on site with me. Just need to charge it first.

geek_lupe4u, Sep 13, 11:47 am

im a novice to cleaning a pc.do i just leave plug in but power off and once open do i make sure i keep one hand touching the case the whole timeor do i just touch it once and im good to go cheers.

geek_dagon1, Sep 13, 11:58 am

Touch the case more than once if you are on a non-woollen carpet or are wearing polyester/nylon clothing.

geek_r.g.nixon, Sep 13, 1:15 pm

We are lucky that we do not have snakes here in NZ, I am glad that others here share their cleaning experiences as well.

geek_ang_ck, Sep 13, 4:02 pm