Can I make my non 3G iPad, 3 g able?

Hi, we just use it at home normally but just wondering if I can get something for those times we go on holidays. Shoulda bought the 3 g option.

geek_kmole, Sep 30, 7:57 am

Do a 'wifi' tether to your smartphone, that's assuming you do have one that is.
Just make sure you have your battery charger with you and don't go downloading lots of apps.

geek_ians2, Sep 30, 8:09 am

On holidays, where do you go that don't have wifi!

geek_tillsbury, Sep 30, 8:20 am

Go to the beach tillsbury.we are farming and do sales over trade me over the summer months, so when we take a week off we have to check emails on phone. Just would be easier on the iPad. Checking weather etc etc.
How do I know if my phone is a smart phone!I googled it but that wasn't clear.it gets emails and connects to the web!

geek_kmole, Sep 30, 8:36 am

You can now buy a hotspot From vodafone which you have to pay but allows you to connect nifty device

geek_stefanie1, Sep 30, 10:29 am

OR

JUST GO ON HOLIDAY

geek_hapukanz, Sep 30, 12:02 pm

What model is it!

geek_vtecintegra, Sep 30, 12:16 pm

A smartphone is a cross between a PC and a phone, it uses an operating system which allows inbuilt and downloadable application to run, and utilises a profession grade email client. It's common these days for a smartphone to have a touchscreen but not having one does not rule out a phone being 'smart'.

Best to just post your model description as requested above.

geek_carkitter, Sep 30, 1:48 pm

Does that work with all phones! I thought it only works if you have an iphone with the ipad.

geek_mattnzw, Sep 30, 2:47 pm

Works with most (but not all) smart phones

geek_vtecintegra, Sep 30, 2:53 pm

I don't know about 'all' phones but it certainly worked with my old Wildfire S and it does work with my S3.

geek_ians2, Sep 30, 2:56 pm

Oh cool, my model is a Samsungs8300T.The hotspot sounds good too, will google that also!
Would love to just go on holiday, but with one deal being around $30-50k and I miss an enquiry, it's a bit of a shit!
Being self employed means never ever being really truly on holiday.

geek_kmole, Sep 30, 3:34 pm

It works with any phone that has wifi hotspot &/or bluetooth tethering

geek_lostdude, Sep 30, 4:02 pm

like others have mentioned, tethering is your friend

geek_csador, Sep 30, 4:58 pm

It works with Android phones using v2.2 or later and with iOS v4.3 or later.

geek_carkitter, Sep 30, 6:12 pm

I used to do that back in 2005 with Sony Ericsson featurephones using GPRS and later UMTS. As usual, it never caught on until it became a feature of iOS 3.0.

geek_carkitter, Sep 30, 6:17 pm

I look forward to you showing me on holiday what you have learned kmole. as i have wondered what i needed to do to get internet on my tablet. Mind you my phones freebie data wont go far! However i shall now google "tethering."

geek_wendalls, Sep 30, 10:57 pm

Sadly this is not a 'real' smartphone. This model is from 2009 when Samsung had not yet adopted Android for smartphones. According to specs listed online, this phone does nothave Wifi capability so wifi hotspot functionality is out of the question.

geek_carkitter, Sep 30, 11:45 pm

geek_carkitter, Sep 30, 11:53 pm

3 types of 'tethering' :-
wifi - is the easiest, set the cellphone as a 'wifi hotspot'. Phone should be set with SSID and a password in configuration settings.
bluetooth - a little more challenging to setup (hint - I've never done this)
USB - connect a USB cable from the phone to the computer, set the phone to do USB tethering when connected.

geek_ians2, Oct 1, 7:55 am

Got myself the Vodafone hotspot, thanks all or our help.

geek_kmole, Oct 6, 10:48 am