Buying a 50" TV - what is the best - LCD or Plasma

fishb8, Oct 16, 6:10am
What other components or services. Do they have built-in media players to play avi or mp4 via USB!
Wifi .connect to ADSL modem to internet!
Re
100, 200 HZ!
What's the best make - still Panasonic, Samsung!

mm12345, Oct 16, 7:15am

badcam, Oct 16, 7:22am
<<<========= Search

galex, Oct 16, 7:28am

pacificsurfer51, Oct 16, 7:29am
Have owned numerous lcd/plasmas , both samsung & panasonic. If your looking at 50"+ get a panasonic plasma.

gj, Oct 16, 8:17am
After months of research and hands on comparisons (Plasma models only) I narrowed it down to Samsung E8000 series (the 7000 series isn't being imported to NZ) or Panasonic VT50 series. I went with the 55 inch Panasonic P55VT50 but had to wait a couple of months for backorder. Noel Leeming offered me a 60inch GT50 instead but I'm glad I waited and totally happy with quality and features - deep blacks and excellent resolution. This model is only available as 55 or 65 inch in NZ, and the GT50 series which is almost as good is available in 50 or 60 inch only.
In my case 55 inch is the ideal size for our viewing area.

badcam, Oct 16, 8:32am
Would you mind telling us the price you paid! Did you get any extras with it!

gibler, Oct 16, 8:35am
buy a plasma so big that any potential burglars will be found with multiple hernias and collapsed in your lounge with exhaustion.

gj, Oct 16, 8:37am
plus - if you plan to watch TV often during the day and the room is bright, then a LCD (LED backlit) would be a better option. Plasma is superior for colour accuracy and deep blacks, also for sport (fast action) but not if the room is brightly lit espec. sunlight. Also Plasma TVs have a glass screen, which enhances colour contrast, but more prone to reflections than LCD which are not as shiny. So the 'best option' depends on your viewing environment as well. IMO Plasma wins as long as your room is suitable.

gibler, Oct 16, 8:39am
buy some curtains then . or move to Dunedin.

gj, Oct 16, 8:48am
List price was $3999 but I got $800 discount plus free delivery ($65) and free micro-cleaning cloth ($40) and surge protector. Comes with 3D glasses included. You need to compare offers and negotiate.

hayster94, Oct 16, 9:24am
Modern LCD(LED backlit) tv's have really good contrast now so I'd definitely take one of them over a plasma

gj, Oct 16, 9:58am
The other difference is angle of view - the contrast will drop off as you move sideways from the centre with most LCD screens, but not with plasma. And in both types you should have the vertical centre of the screen at your seated eye level to avoid loss of contrast. The worst place for a TV is over a mantelpiece (as sometimes seen in American home improvement shows) unless you watch it standing up.

_drdee_, Oct 16, 11:34am
The argument on most forums too is that plasma can produce a darker black than LCD/LED at a cost of marginally more power consumption.

deus701, Oct 16, 11:44am
On my way to breakfast, I always pass by this electronic repair shop and keep seeing 50" panasonic viera awaiting repairs.

Anyway, you could look into internet ready/smart samsung led tvs. The samsung keyboard cost a fortune, but there is a logitech version which is half the price.especially if you intend to do some typing/chatting
http://digiboom.ee/191-large/logitech-touch-k400-smart-tv-keyboard.jpg

fishb8, Oct 16, 5:58pm
Haha = I'd have to sit out in he garden to watch it!

mm12345, Oct 16, 8:51pm
Nah - if there was some content to watch on it at UHDTV or 4k resolution, then it would be fabulous to watch sitting quite close to the screen.
It's the start of the new standard, rec 2020, defining the "next step" from HDTV.
The new standard also defines frame rates up to 120 fps, a new wide colour gamut(looks to be very wide) with 10 or 12 bit colour depth. It's the real deal, but.
Curious Sony have also released (or announced) an 84" UHDTV, but the one above is LG, yet Sony typically use Samsung panels - so more 84" UHDTVs are probably coming from other makers.I want a 100" TV.
The problem will be content, broadcast, disk, or net.Given that broadcast UHDTV isn't likely in NZ for many years, that internet bandwidth requirements would be huge, that there's no standard disk format currently available to support it, and that despite bluray players being cheap and an HDTV set being in almost every home, my local video store will get a dozen copies of a new release on DVD, yet only 3 or 4 copies on BD.The great unwashed will determine whether UHDTV takes off, and they seem to have been voting "meh - so what!"
Next problem is that this UHDTV standard, "2160p" is only an interim step, as rec 2020 defines the next step, "4230p", which has already been demonstrated at the London Olympics.So how much would you want to invest in 2160p when it's obsolescence is planned!I am very skeptical that the industry (including movie studios, broadcasters, as well as equipment makers) will be able to get this all together.

mm12345, Oct 16, 9:15pm
Not really.The angle where contrast drops off to the extent that it bothers you is such that the loss of contrast is the least of your worries, unless you like looking at a large screen at an angle - like trying to watch a movie at a cinema standing by the front exit door.
The IPS and VA panels in TVs are orientated at 180 deg to the same panel types used in computer screens.Reason for this is that contrast drops more in one vertical direction than the other (but nowhere near as much as with most laptops and cheap computer monitors - and perhaps rock bottom budget priced TVs with TN panels).They do this so that if the TV is mounted at mantelpiece height, then it looks fine from a seated position (but perhaps not from the ceiling), and with computer panels so that they look okay when you're standing by your desk (but perhaps not crawling under it).

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)