Floppy disk drives

hithere
i have a computor with an old floppy drive and i would like to know if there is a way you can clean the internals with ouy having to remove the drive from the compuer ,,the drive does work but since i have had this computor the floppy drive has not been cleaned .i have cameras that need the floppy drive to work and would love to be able to keep the reading heads cleanany help would be appreciated

geek_falco_inlaw, Oct 15, 10:02 am

You used to be able to buy cleaning discs much like VHS head cleaning kits.These only cleans the read/write heads.

I'm not sure if you can still get them.

geek__sms_, Oct 15, 10:05 am

thankyouwill go do some searching

geek_falco_inlaw, Oct 15, 10:08 am

you should copy(backup) the floppies to a usb drive, one day the floppies -will- be corrupt.

geek_kevin16, Oct 15, 10:22 am

Brand new floppy disk drives are about $20. You could buy a much better camera from $100.

geek_gyrogearloose, Oct 15, 10:30 am

i have a panasonic FZ7 ,,,but prefer to use this one that uses floppy diskbut thankyou for the suggestion

geek_falco_inlaw, Oct 16, 10:36 am

Are you Falco's inlaw!

geek_mrfxit, Oct 16, 1:29 pm

You say the cameras need the floppy drive to keep working but how do you mean! Floppy drives are incredibly old technology and I dont see how they can affect some cameras (security I assume) from working. If it is a driver file or software then surely you just copy the files to new format such as CD USB stick etc.

geek_azza20, Oct 16, 10:41 pm

And the resolution of the camera that uses floppies is what!640x480!

geek_tillsbury, Oct 16, 10:59 pm

is that one of those ancient digital cameras that writes directly to floppy or something! otherwise i fail to see why you still continue to use such ancient technology

remove your floppy drive and replace it with a card reader instead

geek_pcmaster, Oct 17, 12:34 am