Too much data (.pst files) Microsoft Outlook 2012

derek.cossey, Oct 26, 10:25pm
Is there a reliable free email progamme with a greater storage capacity then Outlook 2010. I am only using a trial version but its full and now gives me an error message saying permanently delete files but won't actually let me delete them! Or is there a way to fix this problem that I might be missing here!

derek.cossey, Oct 26, 10:25pm
Is there a reliable free email progamme with a greater storage capacity then Outlook 2010. I am only using a trial version but its full and now gives me an error message saying permanently delete files but won't actually let me delete them! Or is there a way to fix this problem that I might be missing here! It's 2010 not 2012.

r.g.nixon, Oct 26, 10:28pm
A brief read of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982577 indicates a limit of 50GB for Outlook 2010.

This can be increased or decreased by making changes to the Windows registry.

king1, Oct 26, 10:29pm

gyrogearloose, Oct 26, 10:42pm
Do you really have a PST approaching 50GB! This would indicate you're using Outlook as a filing cabinet. What are you doing, we might be able to suggest a better way.

mrfxit, Oct 26, 10:46pm
*Cough* yea what he ^^ said.

Seen them at 5gb for mostly text but would suspect 50gb to be loads of photo's & big pdf's etc

derek.cossey, Oct 26, 11:05pm
Thanks for the messages total data file size about 1,751,889 KB only and i forgot to mention its only a trial version. Error message is The outlook data file C:\Documents and Settings\OEM\Local Settings\Application Data\Outlook\outlook.pst has reached the max size. To reduce the amount of data in this file, permanently delete some intems that you no longer need. You could also consider using the new outlook data file (.pst) introduced with outlook 2003 that provides greater capacity for storing items and folders. The message happened when I was importing backed up data from a back up hard drive to replace data I had lost when changing to Outlook 2010 trial version. However, it won't let me delete unwanted items from any folder. The files are predominantly personal emails over several years and there are many I could delete if it would let me.

gyrogearloose, Oct 26, 11:18pm
I think the problem is that you have reloaded an old format PST file, rather than using the format introduced in 2003.

My suggestion would be to close Outlook, rename the old PST file (so that Outlook won't open it), start Outlook and create a new PST in the new format. Then open the old PST file and drag and drop all of the items from the old PST to the new PST.

Then close Outlook, rename the old PST again and never open it again.

derek.cossey, Oct 26, 11:20pm
I am in the process of auto archiving in the hope that will work.

gyrogearloose, Oct 26, 11:23pm
I think the auto archive file will have the new PST format, but your reloaded PST will still have the old format, and your problem will reoccur.

derek.cossey, Oct 26, 11:31pm
That seems to have worked for me. Thanks so much for your help.

derek.cossey, Oct 27, 12:02am
I understand what you are saying thanks and have saved your advice just in case.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)