Remote control OSX/Win7/XP/Vista

Anyone recommend some good and preferably cheap remote control software!Mainly want to control a Vista and Windows 7 machine from OSX 10.8, but also other combinations including Win8 and XP.I have tried Teamviewer which is tolerable, but the biggest pain is that the free non-commercial version shoves "Thank you" nagware screens over both computers as you disconnect -- this means that you can't set something off on a remote computer and have it continue to display (unless you stay connected and switched on indefinitely).

Is there one around that doesn't do this!And preferably has a little more control!And not too staggeringly expensive!TIA.

geek_tillsbury, Nov 1, 8:54 pm

Is this over a LAN/WAN or the Internet!

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Nov 1, 9:11 pm

I've used logmein (Free) in the not-so-recent past and found it quite acceptable. There's also tightvnc or similar (the VNC protocol is open and several different programs implement it) but then you have to bother about port forwarding and dynamic DNS. Logmein gets around all that for you.

geek_little_egypt, Nov 1, 9:19 pm

over lan/wifi, not over the internet really, not worried about that.Don't want to do too much in the way of port fiddling (have too many routers and finicky VoIP stuff which gets all cross when I fiddle too much!), but will certainly check out logmein.thanks.

geek_tillsbury, Nov 1, 9:57 pm

tight/real vnc is the way to go then

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Nov 1, 10:14 pm

logmein.com We use it at work and I have approx 100 machines controlled from one logmein account plus its free and works behind corporate firewalls without problems.

geek_azza20, Nov 3, 12:16 am

Why use logmein if they are only doing local. BTW if you're using the free version at work pretty sure that's against the license.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Nov 3, 1:12 am

Why not use the built in remote desktop service ! Has more features like remote printing.

geek_black-heart, Nov 3, 12:31 pm

No you are wrong about it being against license
From logmein terms and conditions
https://secure.logmein.com/policies/termsandconditions.aspx

9.4 Free Subscriptions. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of these Terms, Your subscription to LogMeIn Free and to LogMeIn Hamachi or LogMeIn Hamachi² that are free do not require the payment of a subscription fee.

Basically it places no restriction on the use of LogMeIn Free and you are not required to pay for LogMeIn Free.

Requires all PCs to be connected to the internet though so might not be the right solution in this case

geek_ooseven1, Nov 3, 7:57 pm

No you are wrong about it being against license
From logmein terms and conditions
https://secure.logmein.com/policies/termsandconditions.aspx 9.4 Free Subscriptions. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of these Terms, Your subscription to LogMeIn Free and to LogMeIn Hamachi or LogMeIn Hamachi² that are free do not require the payment of a subscription fee. Basically it places no restriction on the use of LogMeIn Free and you are not required to pay for LogMeIn Free even in a business environment.
Logmein administrators have said as such as well on their forums

Quote:You're free to use LogMeIn Free in a commercial setting. LogMeIn Free is truly free.
From http://community.logmein.com/t5/Free/LMI-Free-for-commercial
-use/td-p/41320

Requires all PCs to be connected to the internet though so might not be the right solution in this case

geek_ooseven1, Nov 3, 7:57 pm

Very surprised they let you use the free version in a commercial environment but ok.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Nov 3, 8:00 pm

I think they probably make their money from the pro version, and the other applications (are are a number) - all of which add quite a bit of value over the free version

One cool thing with logmein (free aswell) if you can start up a pc, provided you have wakeup on lan enabled and also at least one running PC on your network (I think from memory) .very useful to beable to boot a PC remotely

geek_ooseven1, Nov 3, 8:08 pm

I think they probably make their money from the pro version, and the other applications (there are a number) - all of which add quite a bit of value over the free version

One cool thing with logmein (free aswell) , you can start up a pc, provided you have wakeup on lan enabled and also at least one running PC on your network with logmein installed (I think from memory) .very useful to beable to boot a PC remotely

geek_ooseven1, Nov 3, 8:08 pm