Windows vs what? who uses ubuntu?

sharon.nz, Nov 5, 10:42pm
I dont want to buy another new computer. Iv done that a couple times now and its a rort that they get viruses and or develop problems that keep on costing us money. I need to keep my old compaq presario alive so what do I need to do to it as cheap as poss so it runs well enough for me to use Trade Me, Face book, look at the odd thing on utube, browse the web and check my bank and emails, maybe load pics into etc I dont do movies on it and im not much interested in much else, its a tool not a toy

agarn, Nov 5, 11:10pm

demonknight, Nov 5, 11:11pm
You're right it sounds like a good candidate for some kind of Linux. If you need something considerably lighter and quicker than Ubuntu, give Puppy Linux a whirl. It's very easy to setup for someone with no experience with Linux.

velenski, Nov 6, 12:31am
yeah i tried puppy on my r3000 did work well .

zak410, Nov 6, 1:47am
I have one compaq presario here, it loves Linux.

go with Mint (Mate), all works out of the box here with it including wireless printer and any USB device I plug in it, different cameras, phones etc, a pleasure to use.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php Or to try different flavours first, from a USB drive, try UNetbootin http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

cube_guy, Nov 6, 3:34am
Its a "rort" that they get viruses! Only if you are letting it happen. And developing problems! Come on, you bought a Compaq Presario. All of these problems sound completely self inflicted.

intrade, Nov 6, 4:26am
i run kanotix since 2003 for all things including my tv via skystar pci tuner

little_egypt, Nov 6, 4:51am
Bump up the ram to 1GB and do a fresh install of XP . ;)

badcam, Nov 6, 6:20am
.and, if you do go ahead and install Linux (for you Mint or Ubuntu) then please make sure that you have access to another computer when you do it. If you have questions, or get stuck, or just need to be sure that you're doing things correctly, but aren't quite sure, then make sure you can get online. Installing Linux is very easy, but it is daunting the first time.

badcam, Nov 6, 6:45am
I better point out that you can, and should, try running it off of the DVD first before considering an install.

sonns79, Nov 6, 6:06pm
+1 I have found my Comcrap runs cooler on Linux and Mint is an easy change.Its a learning curve and you might find a few things you have to install like the task manager and graphics drivers.But even with the basic driver my graphics are still crisper and clearer and everything just runs faster.Just go for it but make sure you back up Windows so if you decide its not for you, you can change back.Linux isnt problem free and the safety from viruses etc only exists because of the small number of users.Download from the software manager and leave the package manager because there is a lot of crap there.
There are some really awesome people in here that are just great at answering questions when it comes to Linux.Good luck and remember there are so many flavours of Linux out there that if you dont like one you can find another.

chnman, Nov 7, 12:53am
After using the live disc, if you want to install, STOP RIGHT THERE.

First, go back into Windows and back up your personal data like documents, pictures, etc onto an external hard drive, or if not that much data, onto a blank DVD or USB stick. Then install free edition of Macrium Reflect, create a bootable CD/DVD from within the program, then do an image backup onto external hard drive.
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Then install Ubuntu, Live Mint or whatever distro you choose. You don't need to wipe out Windows when installing Ubuntu or whatever. Follow the instructions to install, and you will have an option to keep Windows and install Ubuntu alongside.

little_egypt, Nov 7, 1:07am
Good advice there. If you make a partition image of Windows first, and later decide that you don't like Linux, you can completely restore Windows back to how it was very easily.

Command-line software for imaging Windows (ntfsclone) is included on most linux live CDs too, although it might be a bit tricky for most users to figure out how to use it.

little_egypt, Nov 7, 1:07am
Good advice there. If you make a partition image of Windows first and later decide that you don't like Linux, you can completely restore Windows back to how it was very easily.

Command-line software for imaging Windows (ntfsclone) is included on most linux live CDs too, although it might be a bit tricky for most users to figure out how to use it.

sharon.nz, Nov 8, 12:52am
Thanks you guys are awesome!

k-i-n-g, Nov 8, 1:01am
I started with Mint and I loved it.

I now run Ubuntu on my laptop and love it.

Wubi is great way to install Ubuntu alongside Windows without having to do anything too fiddly.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)