Acer Aspire One 522 - LCD Flicker and Overheating!

So I've had my Aspire One 522 Netbook since March 2011. Over the past few months it's been flickering like crazy and overheating, and getting progressively worse and it's now at the point where it's getting so hot I'm sure it's gonna damage components. Speedfan shows the CPU getting up to 84 degrees Celcius but generally it hovers about 75. The flickering happens intermittently, and white horizontal lines flicker quickly across the screen and almost cover the whole display. This led me to believe that the integrated graphics was overheating and causing this, and a quick Google search revealed that there was a cabling and timing issue with the model, and further many people have had this netbook overheat. The warranty was a 1 year limited warranty - what do you think my chances are of getting it repaired under the consumer guarantees act! Any advice welcome. TIA

geek_law.house, Nov 7, 12:42 pm

It just hit 90 degrees, jeez

geek_law.house, Nov 7, 12:47 pm

It just hit 91 degrees, jeez. I should add that these temperatures are from simply browsing the internet

geek_law.house, Nov 7, 12:47 pm

No doubt it is clogged with dust inside.

geek_r.g.nixon, Nov 7, 1:05 pm

That's the thing, it isn't :/. Upgraded it to 4GB RAM about a month ago, and I checked the fan then. The little amount of dust that was there i cleaned out with a cotton bud

geek_law.house, Nov 7, 1:10 pm

Get it serviced, the fan isn't necessarily where its clogged with dust, theres heatsinks and airways. Ask the person servicing it too reapply thermal paste.

geek_black-heart, Nov 7, 2:23 pm

Yeah think i'll get some past and reapply it myself tonight, see how I get on

geek_law.house, Nov 7, 2:25 pm

TBH it's quite possibly permanently damaged now if it's been overheating for a month. Where did you buy it! I wouldn't go tampering with it, and entertain the idea of CGA covering you.

geek_black-heart, Nov 7, 2:35 pm

Yeah, hmmmm. Bought at PB Tech. Might not touch it, bought thermal grease but it's a mission to change it so I'm not gonna risk it. Will look into getting it fixed under CGA

geek_law.house, Nov 7, 5:03 pm

PB tech, hmm, I am interested to see how the CGA thing works out, please report back.

geek_black-heart, Nov 7, 5:46 pm

Sure will! Gonna go by the fact it is of poor quality and unsafe for use

geek_law.house, Nov 7, 5:47 pm