VPN to bypass geo restrictions and Facebook

A friend of mine is using a VPN to bypass geo restrictions and use her Facebook account to access sites blocked in her country. However when using Facebook with a foreign IP Facebook temporarily suspended her account. I think it's an automatic thing Facebook does when you login from a strange location. How can she get her account unsuspended! Also her brother wants to do the same thing but doesn't want to get his account suspended too. Any suggestions to get around this! Thanks.

geek_frida6, Nov 11, 12:46 pm

are you sure it is not her domain admin blocking it!
why would she need to use VPN to access facebook!

geek_maugrim, Nov 11, 1:01 pm

OK I read your messge in more depth.

she should possibly use a DNS spoof.

geek_maugrim, Nov 11, 1:03 pm

Some Facebook pages are blocked in many countries, therefore she is using the VPN to access a facebook page that is blocked in her country. It is definetely Facebook and not her domain admin.

geek_frida6, Nov 11, 1:03 pm

but why use a VPN!she clearly has access to the web!is it not just a case of not using a domain provided procy!

geek_maugrim, Nov 11, 1:11 pm

but why use a VPN!she clearly has access to the web!is it not just a case of not using a domain provided proxy!

geek_maugrim, Nov 11, 1:11 pm

What part of "geo restrictions" do you not understand!

geek_little_egypt, Nov 11, 3:43 pm

What part of "geo restrictions" do you not understand!

OP's friend is probably somewhere like China, Iran, or Pakistan where facebook is blocked by the government; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_websites_blocked_in_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China

(although technically this isn't really geo restriction, China is the one blocking Facebook, not Facebook blocking access from China.)

geek_little_egypt, Nov 11, 3:43 pm

Not sure if this is related, but I accidentally left my on VPN and when I logged into Facebook it advised I was logging in from an unknown computer.However, all it asked for was confirmation of password and it was tickity boo from there.Had another issue once where again I forgot VPN was on.Payed for something with visa, next morning I got a call from bank saying someone used my credit card from America!Took a little bit of explaining, but at least they were onto it.

geek_teroopu, Nov 11, 3:55 pm

Nice one! How did you explain that to the bank!

geek_frida6, Nov 11, 4:06 pm

Nice one! How did you explain that to the bank!

Also which VPN service do you use! And are you happy with it!

geek_frida6, Nov 11, 4:06 pm

I'm surprised I haven't been blocked from Trademe, the number of times I accidentally log in here from Dallas and/or random countries in Eastern Europe.

geek_little_egypt, Nov 11, 5:20 pm