Noisey ADSL filter

I have a Pudney PT016 ADSL 2+/Phone line filter.

I hear static when using the phone with the broadband Belkin N300 wifi router modem is connected to the internet. There is no noise when the modem is turned off.

This is my first experience with phone line filters.
Are these filters prone to this, I expected a crystal clear line like it had been before the broadband was enabled.

Should I look for another filter or !

geek_rawill, Nov 13, 11:59 am

filter may be faulty - cheap as to replace. but also check for other phone, sky decoder, fax etc without a filter. they all need one

geek_king1, Nov 13, 12:48 pm

Hi rawill. Have you tried a different phone if it's a cordless. Maybe trying to use the same channel.

geek_hakatere1, Nov 13, 12:48 pm

Hi again hakatere.

The only phone is real old, like 30 years old, no cordless stuff here!

And the jack point used for the phone is the only one in the house so it has the phone jack adapter and adsl connection filter as I listed above.

No sky decoder, no fax

geek_rawill, Nov 13, 5:57 pm

Hi again hakatere.

The only phone is real old, like 30 years old, no cordless stuff here!

And the jack point used for the phone is the only one in the house so it has the phone jack adapter and adsl connection filter as I listed above.

No sky decoder, no fax.

Just for clarification! This is in my 84 year old Aunty's house.
She has never owned a computer before, but wants to get into emailing!

geek_rawill, Nov 13, 5:57 pm

you do have the phone plugged into the filter!
It wouldn't be the first time I have seen a double adapter in the phone jack with the phone plugged in along side the filter.

ie the filter is for the phone - to filter out the broadband signal before it gets to the phone

If your using a double adapter it should go into the filter (in your case it should be unnecessary)

geek_king1, Nov 13, 7:34 pm

i given up with filters and installed a splitter and dedicated line for dsl . solfed that problem of faulty filters years ago.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/networking-modems/other/auction-531856585.htm

geek_intrade, Nov 13, 7:40 pm

Yeah Rawill,has your aunty got a monitored medical alarm by any chance!Then intrades' splitter is required & a complicated "full installation
for ADSL"-then'no filter required'.Aunty can smoke roll 'er owns'.

geek_deodar1, Nov 13, 7:59 pm

+1
Installed one of these when my parents upgraded kitchen.

geek_blenheim-trader, Nov 13, 8:01 pm

The splitter filter has two output connections, they are different and the the phone connection can only go into one a "narrow" one, the other for the modem is square.

As far as I know there is no monitored alarm, and hehe! my "client/aunty" does not smoke!.

geek_rawill, Nov 13, 8:28 pm

try another phone then, maybe something about the phone it doesn't like (the 30 years old bit maybe.).Process of elimination.

geek_king1, Nov 13, 8:45 pm