Using Samsung Note 10.1 3g as a phone

Bought 10.1 and really like it. Talked into buying 3g being told I can use it as a phone. Wentback later to point of sale to get them to set up as phone. He said it can't be done . I asked then why does it have a phone icon and a phone keypad. He said it was just an app that worked like viber or skype. i believed him for a moment but soon realised the Salesman had less idea than I do . he couldn't even work out which SIM or which way to put it in.

So, TRADEME experts . can you please help. Can I use the 10.1 A's a phone! What type of SIM does it take! is the SIM a data only SIMor a com bination, and can I get it on prepay!

I couldn't understand if it worked like viber. the person you phone also has to have viber. how does this then work on the tablet phone .Howwould that work!I would have opted for not getting 3g if I knew I couldn't use tablet as a phone.I must admit I feel a bit conned if I can't use it as a phone too.

Much appreciate any good advice.

geek_penny259, Nov 20, 8:03 pm

Bought 10.1 and really like it. Talked into buying 3g being told I can use it as a phone. Wentback later to point of sale to get them to set up as phone. He said it can't be done . I asked then why does it have a phone icon and a phone keypad. He said it was just an app that worked like viber or skype. i believed him for a moment but soon realised the Salesman had less idea than I do . he couldn't even work out which SIM or which way to put it in.

So, TRADEME experts . can you please help. Can I use the 10.1 A's a phone! What type of SIM does it take! is the SIM a data only SIMor a com bination, and can I get it on prepay!

I couldn't understand if it worked like viber. the person you phone also has to have viber. how does this then work on the tablet phone .I would have opted for not getting 3g if I knew I couldn't use tablet as a phone.I must admit I feel a bit conned if I can't use it as a phone too.

Much appreciate any good advice.

geek_penny259, Nov 20, 8:03 pm

I don't believe you can use it as a phone over the cellular network. The sim card is for internet.

there are apps you can use that make it function like a phone. but it's not a phone. if that makes sense.

You can take it back - consumer guarantees act says a product must do as described by the seller.

geek_mazdasix, Nov 20, 8:09 pm

Apparently it should work - just install a normal phone SIM

geek_vtecintegra, Nov 20, 8:24 pm

The salesman shouldn't be selling anything to anyone, he's a know nothing lazy salesman.
You will be happy to know you can make voice calls to other mobiles, and also make video calls too. Yes and Skype, and Viber to people with these apps installed.
The Galaxy Note 10.1 is a good tablet, and the 3g model is also a phone unlike many other 3g tablets which don't have this function. You use a regular mobile phone SIM, not a data SIM. But check with your provider before buying s SIM to be sure.

geek_trevenco, Nov 20, 8:30 pm

Thank you. I have tried a normal SIM but it is too long sticks out of the slot and I can't close the "lid" a micro SIM is too small . is there another type I am missing!Glad to hear it can be used as a phone . I don't feel sotablet "challenged" now. I should have come here to ask in the first place :o)

geek_penny259, Nov 20, 8:43 pm

Well I am feeling extremely silly . I have been putting the SIM in upsidedown. It now works. Thank you so much for your help . I now have a fabulous phablet
:o)

geek_penny259, Nov 20, 9:20 pm

I know I won't be going to a particular electrical store for help again !

geek_penny259, Nov 20, 9:22 pm

Awesomeness.

geek_trevenco, Nov 20, 9:28 pm