New printer needed

bkb1, Nov 25, 10:05pm
Any advice pleaseWe need a new home printer. PC running Vista and we have an IPad so would be good to print from that. Looking at Canon MX 436

shaneo2, Nov 25, 10:29pm
If wanting to print directly from an Ipad make sure printer you bu is Airprint compatible or alternatively that you understand how to share a printer from to Apple IOS devices from your Vista machine via a 3rd party application like eg AirPrint Activator

If your wanting to print directly from an Ipad to a printer make sure the printer you buy is Airprint compatible (note*not the same as Apple compatible) or alternatively that you understand how to share a printer to Apple IOS devices from your Vista machine via a 3rd party application like eg AirPrint Activator

If your wanting to print directly from an Ipad to a printer make sure the printer you buy is Airprint compatible (note*not the same as Apple compatible) or alternatively that you understand how to share a printer to Apple IOS devices from your Vista machine via a 3rd party application like eg AirPrint Activator

It seems that the Canon MX436 is Airprint enabled http://www.feiphone.com/blog/how-to-print-on-iphone-or-ipad-with-apple-airprint/

but definitely check when buying

bkb1, Nov 25, 10:45pm
Thanks shane02 you have been very helpful. Much appreciated.

shaneo2, Nov 25, 10:50pm
PS. Just need to add that I didn't look into how good a printer the MX436 is sorry so I wasn't necessarily endorsing it as a good printer.

dice4, Nov 26, 5:25am
I have a Brother MFC J430w, it's wireless and does the job well. It can print from the ipad no dramas (the ipad just needed a software update).

shaneo2, Nov 26, 6:46am
The Brother MFC J430w is an Airprint enabled printer

mrfxit, Nov 26, 7:03am
most important questions not been asked yet.

What do you print the most/ letters/photo's/ emails
Do you use mostly black & white or lots of color
How often do you use the printer

bkb1, Nov 26, 8:31am
Hi, we print mainly black and white. Emails, documents etc. It is not used a huge amount. We want to be able to scan documents and then email them. Thanks to all for your help.

mrfxit, Nov 26, 7:18pm
As far as black & white printing & the printer sitting a lot goes, you would be better off getting a Mono Laser printer.

If you do your sums between pages per cartridge & cost of cartridges, the Laser wins by a very large margin.
Also, inkjets HATE sitting unused & the cartridges often dry up.
Laser printers don't suffer that problem.

Depending on which model of either printer type & brand .
Inkjet cartridges get something like 200/500 pages each.
Lasers get between 1000/2000 pages per cartridge

bkb1, Nov 26, 8:35pm
Thanks so much will investigate the laser as well.

azza20, Nov 27, 10:16am
When buying a printer Canon and Brother are good brands. Epson not to bad either. Consider the cost of consumables as well. Pay a bit more if the consumables cost less. Look around for wholesalers that may sell ink to you as well.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)