Sky dish's & the size for clarity

How much does the size of the dish effect reception
Sky give domestic customers a 60cm disk & if you have a business account, they give you a 90cm dish.
Why would this be like that

geek_mrfxit, Nov 26, 5:37 pm

Just guessing but businesses would potentially be feeding Sky to multiple TVs. bigger sat = more bandwidth! Seriously just guessing though.

I get perfect reception 99% of them time so don't see how it could possibly be any better with a bigger dish

geek_mazdasix, Nov 26, 5:43 pm

Just guessing but businesses would potentially be feeding Sky to multiple TVs. bigger sat = more bandwidth! Seriously just guessing though, I dunno how this stuff works.

I get perfect reception 99% of them time so don't see how it could possibly be any better with a bigger dish

geek_mazdasix, Nov 26, 5:43 pm

Larger dish has higher gain, so more signal for longer cable runs and more splits and rain fade should kick in at a later stage. Nothing to do with clarity. The vulgar image quality on many channels is purely a low bitrate issue.

geek_spyware, Nov 26, 5:49 pm

So, domestically, a larger dish would be far better in a marginal area, (Tree's hills etc), yes!

geek_mrfxit, Nov 26, 7:13 pm

Probably not. Signal doesn't go through a tree at all, let alone a hill. You are talking of 12 GHz, wouldn't penetrate a leaf due to wavelength. I've never heard of a marginal satellite area.

geek_spyware, Nov 26, 7:43 pm

Some ppl live in really strange & odd places

geek_mrfxit, Nov 26, 8:01 pm

Just as an aside - I've noticed lichen growing on my dish.will this affect transmission!

geek_fishb8, Nov 26, 10:54 pm

lol, no. but it might affect reception .

geek_little_egypt, Nov 27, 12:52 am

.yeah, yeah.reception.should I clean it!

geek_fishb8, Nov 27, 1:12 am

Larger dish apertures are for lower frequencies. Using a larger dish for a given frequency won't have much effect on signal, same as using a larger antenna. The aperture and desired reception frequency need to be matched.

geek_lugee, Nov 27, 1:24 am

Uhhh, really!

No. Antennas are resonant, and need to be some multiple of the wavelength to work efficiently. A satellite dish is a big reflector and doesn't need any relationship to the wavelength. The bigger the dish, the more signal it picks up. Simple as that.

geek_little_egypt, Nov 27, 8:01 am

. on the other hand, modern satellite is digital, once you're getting most of the bits most of the time (enough that it can error correct for) you'll get a 'perfect' picture. More signal won't give you a better picture, it will just mean that you have more room for signal to get lost during storms or solar events before you don't have enough signal and things drop out.

geek_little_egypt, Nov 27, 8:06 am

SO . if I swap out the std 60cm sky dish for a 1 meter dish (& set it up again of course), what I can probably expect at the least, is a far more stable picture in bad weather.

geek_mrfxit, Nov 27, 8:09 am

Exactly. If you have a picture that glitches or drops out in bad weather (also check that the dish is properly aligned though ;) then a bigger dish should improve that.

geek_little_egypt, Nov 27, 8:27 am

If you put up a 90cm dish you might get the SBS channels as well.

geek_chito, Nov 27, 5:04 pm

although apparently next year they are shutting it down so not worth it for 1 year unless there are other permanent channels you want

geek_gilco2, Nov 27, 6:17 pm