Conecting head phone jack to a smart tv without av

ash86, Nov 26, 9:45am
how do i connect my head phones to a new smart tv without av out!

gyrogearloose, Nov 26, 9:46am
The headphone output!

thebigratchet, Nov 26, 9:48am
is it a typical 3.5mm jack! If so, you could find it easily on the TV. Either on either sides or at the back.

ash86, Nov 26, 10:03am
should have said there is no headphone output

ash86, Nov 26, 10:05am
most big screen tvs dont have headphone outlets

spyware, Nov 27, 9:39am

drsr, Nov 27, 9:52am
If your TV has a digital audio output, see http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp!forumid=34&topicid=111619

gyrogearloose, Nov 28, 12:46am
It's not a very smart tv if it doesn't have a headphone output.

vtecintegra, Nov 29, 5:19am
No most still do.

What make/model is yours!

mm12345, Nov 29, 8:03pm
Have you got this sorted!
Check the back of the TV thoroughly.There's a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack on the back of my 60" TV that I didn't know was there.It's hidden among the panel of other connectors, hard to see, poorly labelled and effectively useless for headphones for TV viewing unless you have a very long extension cable.That would inevitably get tripped over - breaking something.
If there really is no headphone socket, then you will be able to buy a 3.5mm in-line stereo socket to 2 x RCA plugs on TM, dick smith, jaycar etc.Plug the RCA connectors in to the audio out RCA sockets on your TV, headphones in to the 3.5mm stereo in-line socket, and try it out.It's not strictly a "correct" way of doing it, as there will be an impedance and signal level mismatch, but it will probably work fine.
Better solution, buy some wireless headphones and plug them in to the RCA audio out of the TV.If you don't want to investigate which wireless headphones may be best before you buy, then buy them from Dick Smith or somewhere which has a returns policy.Some aren't very good for range/distance and interference etc.

mm12345, Nov 29, 8:03pm
Have you got this sorted!
Check the back of the TV thoroughly.There's a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack on the back of my 60" TV that I didn't know was there.It's hidden among the panel of other connectors, hard to see, poorly labelled and effectively useless for headphones for TV viewing unless you have a very long extension cable.That would inevitably get tripped over - breaking something.
If there really is no headphone socket, then you will be able to buy a 3.5mm in-line stereo socket to 2 x RCA plugs on TM, dick smith, jaycar etc.Plug the RCA connectors in to the audio out RCA sockets on your TV, headphones in to the 3.5mm stereo in-line socket, and try it out.It's not strictly a "correct" way of doing it, as there will be an impedance and signal level mismatch, but it will probably work fine.
Better solution, buy some wireless headphones and plug them in to the RCA audio out of the TV.If you don't want to investigate which wireless headphones may be best before you buy, then buy them from Dick Smith or somewhere which has a returns policy.Some aren't very good for range/distance and interference etc, but good ones will be brilliant.

little_egypt, Nov 29, 9:17pm
That's probably because it's a line-in INPUT to go with the VGA video input right next to it. If they're going to give you a headphone socket it will be somewhere reasonably sensible, on the front or along an edge.

little_egypt, Nov 29, 9:27pm
also if you have a 60" TV (or anything bigger than about 17") you're going to need an extension cable anyhow, unless your headphones just happen to have a very long cord or you like watching TV from much too close to be comfortable.

mm12345, Nov 29, 9:28pm
No - it is a headphone jack, with a tiny black embossed headphone logo.Most easily mistaken for a small inset screw hole.I've never seen a TV with 3.5mm TRS audio input- but I suppose it's possible.
And yes - wired headphones with a larger TV would be a PITA, hence I suggested the OP look for a wireless option.

little_egypt, Nov 29, 9:48pm
How unusual.

I've seen many TV's that have a VGA input for video and a 3.5mm phono plug nearby for the matching audio input. Might even be every single TV I've looked at, if it has VGA input at all it'll have a 3.5mm phono right nearby.

(Of course everything's going HDMI now so they might be dropping VGA inputs on the latest TVs)

mm12345, Nov 29, 10:00pm
OK - I looked again and there are in fact 3.5mm TRS inputs next to the VGA on both my TVs, so "my bad".On the Sony, the input actually looks like an RCA - but is a weird protruding 3.5mm TRS socket.I never use VGA - only HDMI.VGA should go - it's obsolete/useless unless you're connecting to legacy equipment.

mm12345, Nov 29, 10:00pm
OK - I looked again and there are in fact 3.5mm TRS inputs next to the VGA on both my TVs, so "my bad". (Both also have 3.5mm TRS headphone out).On the Sony, the input actually looks like an RCA - but is a weird protruding 3.5mm TRS socket.I never use VGA - only HDMI.VGA should go - it's obsolete/useless unless you're connecting to legacy equipment.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)