Any recommendations on a new ADSL router?

5+ Years ago I did plenty of research before buying a reasonable router (a Dynalink RTA1025w) which replaced a cheap d-link supplied by Vodafone which never worked well.

Been working flawlessly since, but just moved to a bigger house with concrete block walls that restrict wireless range. With that and more devices (iPad, iPods, phones) using the wifi around the house time for a new router.

Something like a n300 router with 4 ethernet ports is not expensive so don't want to waste heaps of time researching but anything to look for or avoid! Assume 802.11ac is no use yet.

geek_gblack, Nov 27, 11:37 pm

Pretty much.More aerials the better, generally, and google the model number to make sure there's plenty of support mentions and firmware downloads and so on.I have a Netgear 300n gigabit and it's fine.

My other advice is to keep the old one.Set up another separate network on this for any old devices you have that don't play 802.11n.This way you can keep your n network "pure" and nothing steps down.My old stuff logs in through the old router, on a/b/g and varyingly dog slow.Works well.

geek_tillsbury, Nov 27, 11:55 pm

Thanks for that. The Netgear 300n is one I have on the watch list at the moment. Good idea about the old router - I might look at running Ethernet cable from the new one and see if I can get the old router running as a second AP on the other side of the house.

geek_gblack, Nov 28, 7:03 am

Or simply make the new one a dual band model.

geek_meathead_timaru, Nov 28, 3:29 pm

Instead of the Netgear would it be more logical to research commercial grade solutions given the concrete. Even Ubiquiti UniFis in each space (ceiling mounted) provide a budget solution.

http://www.ubnt.com/unifi

geek_spyware, Nov 28, 8:34 pm

Instead of the Netgear (probably has eactly the same power output as Dynalink) would it be more logical to research commercial grade access point solutions given the concrete. Even Ubiquiti UniFis in each space (ceiling mounted assuming cable can be run in roof space) provide a budget solution.

http://www.ubnt.com/unifi

geek_spyware, Nov 28, 8:34 pm