Sony or Panasonic 32" TV

helen_nz2, Dec 1, 7:17pm
I'm needing to upgrade to digital and the size of my house means it needs to be a 32". I can't decide between Panasonic TH-L32E5 or Sony KDL32EX650, both priced approx same and as far as I can tell basic features are same so I guess it comes down to reliability and ease of use. I plan to buy a same brand DVD or Bluray if that makes any difference.

I've been in to Noel Leeming and seen them both, Sony seemed to have clearer sharper text, Panasonic seemed the picture slightly better but then after a while they all look the same so I walked away as confused as ever so thought I'd ask peoples opinions.

tmenz, Dec 1, 7:21pm
This is only my personal opinion, but I believe Sony products are over-rated - I'd go for Panasonic - they have a good range of DVD Blu-ray units as well.
Go to Appliance Shed for better prices once you've decided which model you want.

tmenz, Dec 1, 7:21pm
This is only my personal opinion, but I believe Sony products are over-rated - I'd go for Panasonic - they have a good range of DVD Blu-ray units as well.
Go to Appliance Shed for better prices once you've decided which model you want.
Make sure you get a model that has enough input connections for all your likely add-ons, DVD, Blu-ray, Sky box, PS3, X-Box, camera, computer, etc.

pc_uncorrect, Dec 1, 7:30pm
Panasonic, because i like my TV to support as many video formats as poss, so i can plug in my USB stick and watch a movie, without having to stuff around converting it to the TV's playable format/s.

mone, Dec 1, 7:43pm
I have never used or owned Panasonic TV. So it would be unfair for me to comment on this comparison.

mm12345, Dec 1, 8:01pm
Don't worry about how they look in the shop.They're usually set up in "shop" mode, over-bright, too much saturation, contrast, and sharpening.
You can adjust all these settings to get the picture how you like it when you get it home.Panasonic tend to use slightly superior LG panels to Sony's Samsung panels, but there's not much in it.

jules555, Dec 1, 8:45pm
Definately Panasonic

vtecintegra, Dec 1, 9:28pm
A lot of Panasonics use an IPS panel which means which means that dark colours will wash out if you look diagonally across the screen. It should be easy to see this in the shop, just stand to the left or right of the screen and look at it from above or below.

Aside from that one issue my entry level 42" model looks great - I much prefer the colour reproduction to most LCDs (especially cheap ones).

One other thing to consider is the remote control - some Sony models are pretty horrible IMO (creaky and cheap feeling)

meathead_timaru, Dec 1, 9:30pm
Absolutely Panasonic. Sony are, as someone mentioned, overrated.

mm12345, Dec 1, 10:25pm
OK.The effect you refer to is "screen glow" on IPS panels, for which there is less on VA panels (Samsung/sony).It's exacerbated by the backlight being set much too brightly, which is the default setting for "shop" mode on TVs, so another reason to NOT look at TVs in store to compare them.But IPS has two clear advantages over VA, first being that they do not suffer from "black crush" - and that being the reason why all high end professional displays now use IPS panels - I think companies like Eizo dumped Samsung for LG years ago. Colour accuracy is far better with either IPS or VA LCD than plasma.But for TV viewing, colour accuracy doesn't matter much, people who use hardware calibration tools instead of their eyes are being precious twats (IMO).Plasma is okay for TVs.
Second reason is that with large panels, each RGB sub-pixel is also divided into "bright" and "dark" sub-sub pixels, this presumably to compensate (average out) inconsistent linearity in LC optical rotation.With the VA panels, the bright and dark sub-sub pixels are aligned in straight rows.With IPS, the bright/dark sub-sub pixels are staggered.The effect of this is twofold - the staggered bright/dark sub-sub pixels make pixels less apparent.They also reduce moire/interference patterns.This is a microphotograph of a VA panel:
http://i43.tinypic.com/rtffh4.jpg This is an IPS panel: http://i42.tinypic.com/2zxw8ja.jpg
(These are to the same scale, the IPS panel was simply larger than the VA panel)
The bigger the screen (or closer the viewing distance) the more IPS is favoured.

nowittle, Dec 2, 2:05am
i prefer to stick with one brand as they sometimes compliment each other,my vaio keyboard can work the tv,bluray player and ps3, and the remotes,players and tv all work as one, not a biggie, but I like not having to turn on the tv and the input when all i do is turn on a sony player and everything else happens remotely

helen_nz2, Dec 2, 3:11am
Yes, I agree, I think the Panasonic TV is the way to go and I was looking to get either the Panasonic DMP-BDT220GN or DMP-BDT220GN-k Blu-ray. As far as I can see one is 3D and the other isn't. Not sure if it's worth paying the extra $100 to get a 3D.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)