Gmail problem.any help appreciated

We have a new Apple desktop, and are getting more confident in its use. My problem is my e-mail, hubby thinks it has a virus, its going really slow, and wont play any attachments that I receive. He suggests canceling the email address and starting a new one, wld that help! any ideas greatly appreciated before I have to pay someone to come & fix it!

geek_sako243, Dec 8, 2:12 pm

How about assuming its an email client problem and maybe do a google. And the email client is!

geek_spyware, Dec 8, 2:36 pm

Email doesn't have viruses, computers do.
What is slow, connecting! Downloading it! Reading it online!

geek_lythande1, Dec 8, 3:42 pm

thankyou.its slow when I initially log on, also when I click on an email to read.it says " loading", sometimes takes 30 secs to open, also cant play any attachments with are movies (sent as emails) I'm not an expert on this so appreciate any advice. This is a new Apple desktop, 4 mths old. The rest of the computer is fine. My email is gmail.

geek_sako243, Dec 8, 5:45 pm

What browser are you using!Safari! Try another browser,Mozilla for MAC.
You may have a Safari plugin issue. IS internet browsing operating generally ok otherwise,i.e surfing trade me ,google searching ,youtube!

geek_chikky11, Dec 8, 6:13 pm

Using Gmail via webmail (browser)! What browser are you using!Safari! Try another browser,Mozilla for MAC.
You may have a Safari plugin issue. IS internet browsing operating generally ok otherwise,i.e surfing trade me ,google searching ,youtube!

geek_chikky11, Dec 8, 6:13 pm

gmail operate email servers. You provide no indication of what email client you use to read these gmail served emails, whether a web browser or Mail, Outlook or Entourage.

Sending a movie as an attachment would certainly result in slow performance. maybe tell us what size these attachments are!

geek_spyware, Dec 8, 6:48 pm

gmail operate email servers. You provide no indication of what email client you use to read these gmail served emails, whether a web browser or Mail, Outlook or Entourage.

Sending a movie as an attachment would certainly result in slow performance (obviously influenced by the speed of your Internet connection). Maybe tell us what size these attachments are! Once you know the file size you can estimate download time using a guesstimate of the max download speed.

geek_spyware, Dec 8, 6:48 pm

Also how do you connect to the Internet!, adsl2+, vdsl2, docsis (cable modem), 3g, fibre. How does the Mac connect to your network, wired or wireless!

geek_spyware, Dec 8, 6:53 pm

we use extra.
when we download a video (any kind) it pops up in the left corner of the screen, when I click the play button nothing happens. If the same email goes to my husbands email theres no problem. If its a You Tube video, it will play no problem, so it seems to be only an gmail problem, the rest of the computer works fine, and we have 4 giga bite memory. Until 2 weeks ago the email was fine.

geek_sako243, Dec 8, 6:56 pm

Have you got any security settings stopping the attachments from coming through!

geek_blairhs, Dec 9, 7:02 pm