Shopping Cart for Website

Hi there

I've had a request to build a website which is easy enough but they want to sell products. I haven't built one needing a shopping cart before and was wondering if anyone has experience with this!

I'm wondering if there are any decent free ones that are relatively easy to install or whether it is better to go for a paid one!

On the other hand am I better at using something like Shopify!

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

geek_smoshy16, Dec 18, 1:00 pm

I use this onehttp://tinyurl.com/interspirebigcommerce , and it is fully featured. It is a hosted system like shopify, but they don't take a percentageof the sales through the site. Shopifies cheaper plans take a percentage starting from 2%.
If you have some server knowledge and don't mind regularly patching the software with secruity updates etc, and have some php and mysql knowledge, opencart is quite good and free, although a bit limited compared to the one suggested above. But you then need to pay for hosting and find a good supportive webhost that doesn't overload their servers. I have seen some very slow opencart websites on $5 buck hosting.

geek_mattnzw, Dec 18, 1:26 pm

I use this onehttp://tinyurl.com/interspirebigcommerce , and it is fully featured. It is a hosted system like shopify, but they don't take a percentageof the sales through the site. Shopifies cheaper plans take a percentage starting from 2%. I would recommend hosting the email separately, so that it isn't using your shopping carts diskspace.
If you have some server knowledge and don't mind regularly patching the software with secruity updates etc, and have some php and mysql knowledge, opencart is quite good and free, although a bit limited compared to the one suggested above. But you then need to pay for hosting and find a good supportive webhost that doesn't overload their servers. I have seen some very slow opencart websites on $5 buck hosting.

geek_mattnzw, Dec 18, 1:26 pm

Or you could go with Wordpress and the WP-eCommerce plugin.

geek__sms_, Dec 18, 2:11 pm

Or Woocommerce, which I have found to be very good, but a bit fiddly to setup. However they would be in a similar situation to Opencart, where you have to regually install the patches, and solve technical problems when their occur. And at some stage problems do occur with self hosted systems, which could mean a loss of sales for the shop owner. I think software as a service systems like shopify etc are probably the future of lower cost/ small business shopping cart solutions, as you don't have to worry about the software at all.

geek_mattnzw, Dec 18, 2:37 pm

Or Woocommerce, which I have found to be very good, but a bit fiddly to setup. However they would be in a similar situation to Opencart, where you have to regually install the patches, and solve technical problems when their occur. And at some stage problems do occur with self hosted systems, which could mean a loss of sales for the shop owner. I think software as a service systems like shopify etc are probably the future of lower cost/ small business shopping cart solutions, as you don't have to worry about the software at all. The only problem is limitations, but they are becoming a lot more full featured now. Another option is Mals Ecommerce which is free and works with static websites, but that is very basic these days.

geek_mattnzw, Dec 18, 2:37 pm

I've been using WP-eCommerce for a couple of projects including our own online store and have found it pretty good.It's also developed in NZ and I like to support NZ businesses.

geek__sms_, Dec 18, 2:49 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll check them out.

geek_smoshy16, Dec 18, 7:19 pm