Advice on ipod return please :(

Our youngster's ipod broke down (blue screen and unresponsive) within the 'one year' guarantee period.We returned it to the store we bought it from.They kindly sent it to Apple who instructed the store that the ipod was beyond help and we have been given a new ipod.

The store has refused to provide any paperwork to say that we have a new ipod.We have also been refused any guarantee as we have been told that we have used the one year guarantee up!We asked if we might purchase an extended warranty - this was also refused as we were told we could only purchase an extended warranty within the first eleven months of purchasing the first (broken!) ipod.

We now have a new ipod (great!) but no proof that it is new as of today and no guarantee if this one should break down like the last one!

We are pretty shocked at the store's attitude as they are a large, well-known chain.The shop assistant was really helpful - it was his manager who point-blank refused any receipt or guarantee for the new ipod :0(

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Happy Christmas!

geek_carpman, Dec 24, 3:31 pm

Any time I have had any item, electronic or otherwise, replaced under guarantee, the warranty period for the new item only lasts as long as the original warranty would have. So if the warranty for the original iPod has expired, you wont have any cover for the replacement one.

geek_datoofairy, Dec 24, 3:35 pm

That's normal. Just because you got a "new" one, doesn't mean you get another warranty period.

geek_pzkpfw, Dec 24, 3:36 pm

Thanks for that - had no idea.Let's hope this ipod lasts longer than the last one then.

geek_carpman, Dec 24, 3:38 pm

You think the warranty goes on and on and restarts when they replace it!
It doesn't. Your replacement is considered as an extension of the old one. So if you had 1 month left, say, got the replacement, then you still have only 1 month.

geek_lythande1, Dec 24, 3:46 pm

Thanks for everyone's advice - I really apppreciate you taking the time to reply.Hadn't thought about the first guarantee running out.We didn't have the ipod when the guarantee ran out as it was back with the store.

It still feels odd that the store refused to give us any proof that we have returned a fautly ipod and have a new replacement.

We've phoned Apple for advice on recovering some of our son's apps and have now purchased a warranty directly from them.Apple were completely brilliant and couldn't have been more helpful.Would have no hesitation in buying from them directly in future.

geek_carpman, Dec 24, 4:15 pm

Yeah was going to say you can purchase Apple Care direct from apple if it's less than 12 months old. They are pretty quick with turn around times if there is a fault too.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Dec 24, 4:35 pm

You are still protected by the CGA after the warranty has run out, unless it has failed due to misuse, as goods need to last a reasonable period of time, relative to cost.

geek_mattnzw, Dec 24, 5:46 pm

You are still protected by the CGA after the warranty has run out, unless it has failed due to misuse, as goods need to last a reasonable period of time, relative to value. People are correct that the manufacturers warranty doesn't usually restart upon replacement, however often manufacturers will give a 3 month warranty on replacement stuff. But the CGA often provides more coverage than a manufacturers warranty which are often written for overseas markets anyway.

Just write on the receipt dates that it failed and when you received the replacement etc, for your record incase you need to make a claim in the future.

geek_mattnzw, Dec 24, 5:46 pm

Chances are you don't have a new iPod, if you have you are extremely lucky. Apple replace with refurbished even if your device is less than a month old. I had my iPhone replaced three times with refurbished before I kicked up a stink and they gave me a brand new sealed in box device. Didn't help much because I just went to use my phone and its dead.

geek_carlie, Dec 24, 8:17 pm

Chances are you don't have a new iPod, if you have you are extremely lucky. Apple replace with refurbished even if your device is less than a month old. I had my iPhone replaced three times with refurbished before I kicked up a stink and they gave me a brand new sealed in box device. Didn't help much because I just went to use my phone and its dead.

ETA: The refurbished ones all had a fault.

geek_carlie, Dec 24, 8:17 pm

ETA!

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Dec 24, 11:45 pm

Probably, edited to add. On the few times I have returned stuff, I have always noted the serial number of the original and let them know.

geek_hakatere1, Dec 25, 3:44 am

You can check Apple's serial and warranty support here on the new device should anything go wrong.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

geek_neil51, Dec 25, 11:57 am

Thanks everyone - you are all so knowledgeable!It has been a real eye opener - we were really disappointed with the attitude of the store we went to.Didn't realise that the store is a franchise.Salesman was lovely and then the manager came along and was completely unhelpful.Guess he'd had enough of Christmas shoppers!Never mind.We can shop somewhere else in future.Noel Leeming and Dick Smith's will be seeing more of us :)
Happy Christmas and thanks again.

geek_carpman, Dec 25, 3:58 pm